Notices

Riddle me this...one car 2 VIN's???

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 08:01 PM
BrockGT2
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Riddle me this...one car 2 VIN's???

Hello to all,

Riddle me this... I went out to look at a 1986 coupe today, looks like a nice car guards red over black, straight coupe no sunroof approximately 100,000 km or 60,000 miles, nice clean interior etc.

I look under the luggage compartment for the ID code and no code? so I take a photo of the VIN tag from inside the luggage compartment on the left side just ahead of the spare tire looking at it from the front.

Then I take a few more photos of the plate from the drivers side door jamb.

I take the car for a ride and tell the seller that I will be in touch, oh I forgot to mention that there was no owners manual in the glove box and the seller indicates he will check if his son knows where it is?

I just got on the site and using Scouser's VIN decoder noticed while i'm inputting the VIN that the photos I took show 2 different VIN's?

The other interesting thing is that the last 8 characters are the same?

Has anyone ever heard of this... any ideas?

Thanks,
Brock
Old 02-04-2009, 05:52 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It could be possible. The problem could have occured if it was a grey market car. In the DOT process a new vin is issued to the car for use in the us. There chould be an additional vin engraved in the bulkhead just above the fuel tank by the "hatch door" under the trunk liner. This wil usually lack the last 6 digits as this is put there by the factory before its journey down the assembly line and consequential emergence as a final production car. The basics such as model year, body style(cab coupe etc) and trans/engine are there. This may help, but often chop shop cars share differing VINs in different places on the car. There are several places Porsche puts the vin that you cannot actually get to easily.

Quick Reply: Riddle me this...one car 2 VIN's???