Notices

What does it mean for an online college to be accredited?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 03:18 AM
Yohana
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What does it mean for an online college to be accredited?

I'm try to decide about online college and I keep finding all sorts of information about a college must be accredited. What does this mean? how does it help me?
Old 11-25-2008, 02:33 PM
rgrimm
Instructor

It basically shows the college has met the standards of the accrediting body. Accreditation covers everything from academics--coursework and faculty credentials--to financial aid.

If the college isn't accredited, I hate to say it, but you're taking your chances. It you ever intend to go one for additional education or transfer to another college, a non-accredited college's courses don't stand a chance of being accepted in transfer. An employer with a tuition-reimbursement program often won't reimburse for non-accredited college courses and an employer may not consider your diploma to be worth the paper it's printed on. And it's happened--they may take your money and you show up for classes some day and find the doors locked.

So check it carefully. And while it may sound backwards, a regional accreditation is higher than a national accreditation--some regionally-accredited colleges may not accept courses from nationally-accredited schools.

When in doubt about a school, check here:
http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/Search.aspx
It's the US Department of Education's accreditation database. Just finding the school listed in the database is a good sign...
Old 11-26-2008, 02:00 AM
Atwood
2nd Gear

Default Re : What does it mean for an online college to be accredited?

It means that the college is recognized by the accrediting agencies that also accredit traditional colleges, in the sense that it offers quality education that is at par with regular college. It also helps incase you want to transfer credits from one college to another, you can't do this if the college is not accredited. Also incase you'd want to apply for financial aid or other grants, this is only possible through an accredited college. Most employers also don't recognize degrees acquired from colleges that don't have legitimate accreditation.

You can get more information about why college accreditation is important to your education from: http://www.distance-learning-college-guide.com/

Quick Reply: What does it mean for an online college to be accredited?