Notices

Help for the Troops III

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 02:49 PM
Newbiewan
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Bravo Zulu to Mike!

I am writing this from my "Hooch" at Camp Victory in Baghdad.

Mike, I can tell you from recent experience these cards really are appreciated by the hard working soldiers over here. The USO at Camp Virginia in Kuwait handed out these phone cards and they came in very handy while traveling between bases during deployment training.

I have to tell you that I am humbled every day by the stories of the sacrifices the young troops down range make on a daily basis. I have it easy, I work in a comfortable office and rarely go outside the wire. Many of these troops go in harms way on a daily basis and these cards make it easier them keep in touch with loved ones at home...so its definitely a worthy cause.

Bravo Zulu!
Old 11-25-2008, 03:00 PM
mike555
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ Thanks! And if I'm correct, Bravo Zulu is military speak for Well Done. However, I'm not alone in this effort. I'm just the point man. There are many here and elsewhere that play equal parts.

Glad to hear the cards are put to good use. Stay safe!

Mike
Old 11-26-2008, 06:08 PM
mike555
Instructor

As an aside, with what we've raised in the last 2 donation drives and what we've raised so far in this drive, we will have purchased over 40,000 minutes of talk time for our soldiers. That is sure to put smiles on families faces and ease the hardship of separation. Let's keep it up!

Happy Thanksgiving to all, especially our troops serving far from home. Even in tough times, we have much to be thankful for.

Mike

Last edited by mike555; 11-26-2008 at 09:49 PM.
Old 11-27-2008, 12:41 PM
DonT
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mike555 ---

Sent a donation to --- troopcalls@ultrapatriot.com

Thanks for your efforts in leading this project.

Happy Thanksgiving to all those that serve...
and to the Rennlisters who help make life a litte easier for the troops.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:39 PM
mike555
Instructor

This was posted on PP. I think it's worth sharing here as well:

I haven't posted on PP in quite awhile due to selling the 911 but now have an 86 BMW 535i and just haven't had the time to catch up with the boards. I received Mike's email concerning this year's donations and didn't think twice about donating again. I have my own personal reasons for doing this but the cause is worthy and benefits those soldiers that are a long way from home. It's hard to imagine the first timer (newbie), young soldier just out of Basic and AIT and going to Kuwait for orientation and then on to Iraq or Afghanistan for their first full tour of duty overseas as a soldier. Comfort zone is gone, new unit, new comrades to train with and develop and strengthen that trust factor that anyone in combat expects. The adrenalin has to be flowing, anticipation of what the next hour or day or week will bring. And you know what has to be a somewhat calming factor is a familiar voice from home whether it be a parent, wife, friend, the old goat down at the corner gas station that you worked for through high school....something familiar outside of what is reality that is being faced on a daily basis.
Guys, usually I don't say much about this subject due to personal nature of the subject and then again, there's times I can't say enough. I know its hard economic times (hey, I just got laid off on 11/30/08) but any amount that can be added to this fund is worthwhile. It's not seen or heard or touched by us the donors but this is something that will have a definite effect over the holidays for maybe that one soldier really needing a familiar voice to speak to.
I give Mike much respect for heading this over the past couple of years and to be honest I don't know if he has been directly effected by this war or not but whatever his reasons....he deserves a handshake and a stiff beer if I ever get to meet up with him.
Kirk Elliott
RIP son, SGT Brennan C Gibson, 12-10-79 to 12/10/06
Old 12-06-2008, 05:19 PM
mike555
Instructor

OK guys and gals. I'm on a mission to improve upon what we've already accomplished and in order to do this, I'm going to sweeten the pot as it were......

Every donor in this season's drive will be entered into a draw for a $50 Pelican Parts gift certificate from me (personally - not from the Troop Calls fund). On December 15th, I'll randomly draw one name from the donor list and that person will receive the gift certificate. If you're one of the donors from a non-Porsche forum, we'll figure something out. There's no minimum donation amount - eveyone on the list is eligible.

So help me out folks. I'd really like to make these last few days the best so far.

Mike
Old 12-06-2008, 08:53 PM
mike555
Instructor

....and if that's not incentive enough for new donors to step-up and help out if you can,

"I'll match Mikes $50 with another $50 gift cetificate to make it $100 total." Wayne Dempsey, CEO PelicanParts

So one lucky winner will get to spend $100 at Pelican Parts for some Porsche goodies.

Thank you Wayne,

Mike
Old 12-12-2008, 02:22 PM
mike555
Instructor

I received a note from the Red Cross, addressed to all donors in the Troop Calls effort. Aside from the direct, and most important, feedback from families and soldiers, it's always great to get recognition from others that are helping as well. Click on the following link to review it: http://ultrapatriot.com/Red%20Cross%20UP.pdf

We have 3 days left in this season's donation drive and donations continue to come in, pushing us past last year's total. Once again, Rennlisters are at the front of the pack, topping the number of donors.

For those that are able, please help if you can. Stop by the website (in my siganture) as well.

Cutoff date for eligibility for the gift certificate is December 14th. I'll randomly draw one name from the current donor list on December 15th.

Thanks again and best of the season to all,

Mike

Last edited by mike555; 12-12-2008 at 07:59 PM.
Old 12-15-2008, 03:15 PM
mike555
Instructor

This version of the Troop Calls drive is over. Collectively, we've raised $2473 (net), something we can all be proud of. Thanks to the many Rennlisters that have stepped up yet again to lend a helping hand. You're all special people.

Our very own Don T is the winner of the $100 Pelican Parts gift certificate. Congrats Don!

The UltraPatriot.com website will remain active. Donations will be accepted throughout the year. At the beginning of the next winter holiday season, we'll revisit the drive. Hopefully the need will have diminished by then.

A special thanks goes out to John D. for his support and help in making this drive a success. I hope we all remain loyal Rennlisters.

Let's keep our service men and women in our thoughts this holiday season. Best of the season to all,

Mike
Old 12-16-2008, 03:37 PM
mike555
Instructor

I'm happy to say that with the money raised, we've purchased 135, 80 minute pre-paid calling cards for the troops serving in Iraq and Afghanistan. We went with the lower cost card so that we could get them into more hands. That will mean more smiles this holiday season for the soldiers and their families.

Thanks to all donors and all others that sent words of encouragement. The UltraPatriot site will remain active and will continue to buy calling cards as donations come in. While the drive is over, and 135 men and women will be getting cards for Christmas, with luck we may be able to deliver even more over the holidays. It's never to late to give.

Thanks everyone,

Mike
Old 12-27-2008, 08:45 PM
mike555
Instructor

I've had a few donations come in after the last purchase. For those that have anything left to give after a hectic holiday rush, please consider a donation. It would be great if we could deliver another pack of calling cards overseas for the holidays.

Best of the season to all,

Mike

Quick Reply: Help for the Troops III