need ideas to remove brake fluid from carpet

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 08:32 AM
lost it
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need ideas to remove brake fluid from carpet

hi

During our last drive through France in our trusty old 996 (no rms failures or leaks and the car is 10 years old :P) we had a failure in the ABS accumulator (hyrdraulic pump in porsche speak) whilst coming down the alps.
Having removed the trouser stains, we are now left with an accumulation of brake fluid in the bottom of the luggage compartment.. We have cleaned up all the excess and removed the carpets but now would like to see if anyone has some good tips on removing the residual fluid from the carpets. They feel dry to the touch but still leave stains if we place them on absorbent paper... so anyone have any experience with this sort of problem,

BTW hydraulic pump assemblies are not rebuildable and cost a bomb to replace
I would therefore recommend add checking this item for any leaks before any long trip at least in cars around 10 years old. it took a month to get the car shipped back from france to sweden and then had to wait 2 weeks for the part, oh well at least the financial controller has agreed to an upgrade
Old 06-19-2008, 12:52 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use water and soap to remove it. I believe brake fluid is water soluble and repeated cleaning should do the job. I recommend doing one small corner of the carpet to ensure there is no fading or breakdown of the carpet fibers. I don't know if you have a product called "Fabreze". If you do, don't use it to soak carpet pieces. A friend did this last year and the chemical composition of the Fabeze ate the Jute backing from the carpet. A diswashing liquid soap or mild car wash soap should suffice. Good Luck.

Quick Reply: need ideas to remove brake fluid from carpet