Notices

Elitist, Purist or Enthusiast.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 08:39 AM
looney2n
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Elitist, Purist or Enthusiast.....

Being a fairly new Porchse owner, a C2S owner, I have seen different attitudes exhibited on car ownership.

I have seen the term "elitist" used on general sports car sites to describe Porsche owners.

Do these tags exist with different models of Porsche cars;i.e., Boxster, Cayman, etc.? And if so, why?

Your thoughts????

elitist
adjective SNOBBISH, exclusive, superior, arrogant, selective, pretentious, stuck-up (informal) patronizing, condescending, snooty (informal) uppity, high and mighty (informal) hoity-toity (informal) high-hat (informal), chiefly U.S. uppish Brit. (informal)

purist
noun STICKLER, traditionalist, perfectionist, classicist, pedant, formalist, literalist

enthusiast
noun FAN, supporter, lover, follower, addict, freak (informal) admirer, buff (informal) fanatic, devotee, fiend (informal) adherent, zealot, aficionado
Old 05-18-2008, 01:02 PM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by looney2n
Being a fairly new Porchse owner, a C2S owner, I have seen different attitudes exhibited on car ownership.

I have seen the term "elitist" used on general sports car sites to describe Porsche owners.

Do these tags exist with different models of Porsche cars;i.e., Boxster, Cayman, etc.? And if so, why?

Your thoughts????

elitist
adjective SNOBBISH, exclusive, superior, arrogant, selective, pretentious, stuck-up (informal) patronizing, condescending, snooty (informal) uppity, high and mighty (informal) hoity-toity (informal) high-hat (informal), chiefly U.S. uppish Brit. (informal)

purist
noun STICKLER, traditionalist, perfectionist, classicist, pedant, formalist, literalist

enthusiast
noun FAN, supporter, lover, follower, addict, freak (informal) admirer, buff (informal) fanatic, devotee, fiend (informal) adherent, zealot, aficionado
Based on the definitions above, I would say that all tags can apply to members of the 993 crowd (not everybody, and not all the time). You seem to hear the phrases "last of the air-cooled" and "best looking" uttered in the forum from time to time. I have to say that while one is fact, the other opinion, I agree with both! There are plenty of accusations of elitism from the water-cooled crowd, and I sometimes agree. But hey, you like what you like!

I would also say that the biggest surprise since I got into the Porsche fold is the enthusiasm from the 951 guys and 914 guys (not so much on this board though).

In the end, I'd be happy with pretty much any of the models discussed on RL. Enjoy them bruthas!

Quick Reply: Elitist, Purist or Enthusiast.....