Notices

Move to Singapore - Can I take my P-car?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 11:52 AM
C DeVito
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Move to Singapore - Can I take my P-car?

Well it took me 10 months to find my TT and I am not ready to part with it but I am transferring to Singapore for work in a few months. I really want to take the car with me. I searched the archives and came up empty. Has anyone done this or know about the viability of the options?
Old 05-05-2008, 03:04 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

I know a safe place to keep it if you can't.
Old 05-07-2008, 01:41 AM
brianh
Rennlist Member

Don't know the answer directly - but having been there a few times I've learned that the Singapore authorities generally discourage vehicle ownership... it's a relatively small island and they are worried about conjestion & pollution. There are heavy taxes on vehicle ownership and limits on max engine capacity etc. (lemme guess - your TT will exceed it) Don't know if they will cut you any slack on a tempoaray basis however...
Old 05-07-2008, 10:35 AM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by C DeVito
Well it took me 10 months to find my TT and I am not ready to part with it but I am transferring to Singapore for work in a few months. I really want to take the car with me. I searched the archives and came up empty. Has anyone done this or know about the viability of the options?
No. Unless you convert it to right hand drive. After that you would have to pay 20% of the cars value in duties. Now comes the expensive part. It sounds like certificate of entitlement COE rates have dropped somewhat but they have been as high as 50k for open class (larger then 1.6L).

A TT wouldn't be that much fun in Singapore anyway but there used to be a place across the causeway in JB that rented Porsches. Malaysia has some great mountain roads. It also has some lousy ones where you have to dodge potholes, goats, chickens, people motor scooters, etc.
Old 05-07-2008, 04:20 PM
cwrm4
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Your best bet is to find some Australian expat banker who brought his car into Singapore and is now getting transferred somewhere else and needs to sell it. There are also rules/age limits that can prohibit bringing "used" cars into the country (pre-WW2 cars excluded!).

Truthfully the best car to have any fun with inside of Singapore is an original Mini, and even then...

Malaysia does have a few great roads and, though I unfortunately never did it when I was working there, the Sepang F1 circuit is usually open for the public to drive on the weekends (bikes and cars both allowed).
Old 07-06-2009, 01:33 PM
vinxz
AutoX

if your car is more than 3 years old, then its not permissible

if it is less than 3 years, you can bring it in and pay the following:
- 20% excise duty
- 7 % GST
- 100% registration fee
- and buy the certificate of entitlement (to get the car on the road) -- a certificate for 10 years is about S$10k

i know its expensive.. but once here, the car is "singaporeanised" and can easily to be sold off at equally high price to next willing owner

Quick Reply: Move to Singapore - Can I take my P-car?