Worry about buying an out of state car + aftermarket warranties

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 07:40 PM
psperl
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Worry about buying an out of state car + aftermarket warranties

Hello,

I am a Porsche lover like everyone here. I bought a 924 Turbo in HS and spent 7 years fixing it every few weeks. Now I'm considering buying my first 911, since I feel like my life wouldn't be complete if I didn't eventually buy one, and mid-20's bachelordom is the best time for buying toys.

I'm looking for a 996 Carrera 4 Coupe Manual. I would normally prefer a C2, but one of my dreams in life is to drive my 911 up to ski mountains in the winter with my snowboard on the roof.

The best car I've found so far is for sale by private party about 500 miles away from me. The private party aspect makes completing the sale harder, as I would need to get in transit plates and what not, as compared to a dealer just giving me plates and taking my loan check.

My question is this, is a PPI from a Porsche dealer enough to justify buying a 911, or should I suck it up and take a less-desirable car from a local dealer? I won't be able to inspect the car until the last minute, so I want to make sure I'm not boning myself.

Also, I'm worried about buying a C4 and having the center diff, engine, or tranny go and being out LOTS of money, so I've been considering an aftermarket warranty. Good idea? or Waste of money?

Thanks guys! I hope to be an owner soon so I can properly join everyone.

-Pete
Old 04-16-2008, 06:14 PM
993Maineiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 113 Posts

Since no one has responded let me give it a try. Learn all that you can about the year and model of the car. The early 996s had some problems that required a new engine (I am a 993 owner so go to the 996 board and see what a search brings up on things to watch out for. While on that board ask a Rennlister for ideas on where to get the PPI, or write the president of the local PCA district. Some of the websites of districts also have lists of recommended places for PPIs. Usually an independant will be better if the specialize in the model then a "stealer." If the PPI is good and covers what you have learned are problems you should be fine. Of course a visit to see the car in person is best but often can't be done.

Good Luck

Al

PS I don't know about aftermarket warrentees, but there have been a few threads on them too.

Last edited by 993Maineiac; 04-16-2008 at 06:15 PM. Reason: Added Info

Quick Reply: Worry about buying an out of state car + aftermarket warranties