Notices

GPS recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 05:44 PM
sbarton
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GPS recommendations

Looking to get a portable (suction mount) GPS device for my car. Any recommendations. Looking to spend around $150-$300.

-Scott
Old 10-24-2007, 12:32 AM
mal28
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got the Garmin 650, very pleased with it, Spend the extra money and get one that reads the street names, ie "in 1 mile turn right on main street" rather than "in one mile turn right"

The unit got me around a hugh traffic jam in San francisco, where I am visiting and do not know my way around
Old 10-24-2007, 05:30 AM
NCporsche
Chainsaw
Rennlist Member

Received 186 Likes on 128 Posts

Having just purchased a Garmin 330 from a Rennlister (new @ $200.00) I'm very pleased with it. This represented a significant savings and well worth the Rennlist membership to access the classifieds.

Back on topic, there are a couple of things I wish the 330 would do, and if these are important to you, you might want to look at a better model.

I had a situation where I wanted to put in latitude and longitude and use the GPS to locate this point. The 330 does not have that capability and I'm not sure what other models do.

I was wanting to save a route. Last weekend we had a fun run in the mountains and I was hoping to save the route in memory so the next time I was back in the area, I could find some of the roads again.

In addition, I'd like to be able to store a location instead of programing the physical address in the favorites.

However, the 330 is great for driving in the mountains. Just setting it on the local map will show the next mile and you can prepare for upcoming switchbacks or short straights, to get around the old couple in the Cadillac out sightseeing.
Old 10-24-2007, 06:51 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

whilst Garmin products are good, do not ignore the various TomTom offerings

R+C

Quick Reply: GPS recommendations