Notices

Rant/need some advice...

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 10:20 PM
BlueRiver86
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Rant/need some advice...

OK, the town stoned the roads today, which I didn't know because I just got back from Canada this morning, so i'm out for a quick errand and I come across it. I start going super slow and an Explorer goes by me oncoming, probably doing like 50ish (limit was 45) and kicks up a bunch of stones, and one of them smacks my windshield and puts a big 'ol chip in it.

This is so frustrating, I don't know what the damn town stones the roads, but now my vehicle is damaged, due to no fault of my own and its directly linked to the fact that they don't properly maintain the roadways and stone them instead of paving. I'm sure its because my town is largely low-income and has something like 4 trailer parks last I knew, but it really doesn't seem fair and its got me kind of bummed. Its like hitting a pothole and getting a flat, all i'm wondering now is do I have any kind of right at all to have the damages repaired? Should I even bother calling the town highway dept?
Old 08-19-2007, 11:39 PM
SD Porsche Fan
Cast Iron Man
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"but now my vehicle is damaged, due to no fault of my own"
That's what insurance is for. Sorry but you're out of luck unless you can prove the other driver was breaking a law that caused the damage.
Old 08-19-2007, 11:47 PM
BlueRiver86
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SD Porsche Fan
That's what insurance is for. Sorry but you're out of luck unless you can prove the other driver was breaking a law that caused the damage.
Yeah, ins will most likely be handling it.

I don't blame the other driver, and I hope it didn't come across that way. They weren't doing anything wrong. I just feel like stoning the road is going to inherently cause damage to vehicles that have to drive on it.
Old 08-20-2007, 03:20 PM
SD Porsche Fan
Cast Iron Man
Rennlist Member

Well, chip sealing is how asphalt is maintained. Not much of a choice. The alternative is to let the cracks in the road turn into pot holes. Then you'd probably have more damage then a few rocks could do. If you could get everyone to use concrete then none of us would have to deal with the mess and rock chips.
Old 08-24-2007, 08:57 PM
Daniel Dudley
Rennlist Member

If insurance will cover it, get it fixed. If not, stabilize it with crack repair. First time for everything. LOL
Old 08-27-2007, 12:17 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 407 Posts

can you just fix the crack?

Quick Reply: Rant/need some advice...