Notices

Advice on Dyno Dynamics AWD Chassis Dyno

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 08:15 PM
shawsan
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on Dyno Dynamics AWD Chassis Dyno

I've used the search function and read a lot of posts offering advice on dynoing an AWD Porsche (such as my 993tt). A few concensus points seem to have emerged;

1) AWD Mustang Dyno is a sure bet, no worries, go for it.

2) Most other Dynos, even if they claim AWD capability, are questionable, for example Dynapack. If the rollers arn't mechanically copuled, beware.

3) Instead of AWD, do 2 WD, by disconnecting the front. As a fellow Rennlist member, Rick, has advised me: "It is a no brainer to slide the front drive shaft coupler forward to disconnect the front. I think it is outlined in the owners manual for towing the vehicle. The viscous coupling is not tough enough to handle it as I am told. Drop the belly pan, unhook the shift rod and the two driveshaft clamp bolts. Some guys do it for track days. If you plan to drive the vehicle make sure you snug up the clamp so it won't creep back towards the trans. It is still spinning from the front diff turning with the wheels."

OK, armed with this information, I've talked with the tuners at Rocket Rally Racing who claim to have "Western Canada's first and only steady-state, all wheel drive chassis dyno". Their promo says, "Our Dyno Dynamics Lowboy AWD dyno is a state of the art machine, delivered brand new from Dyno Dynamics. This machine enables steady state load holding and tuning for a wide variety of AWD performance machines, including Subaru, Porsche, Lamborghini, Audi, etc. "

They say the rollers are not mechanically coupled but this presents no problem as the machine adjusts. They further say the feel that disconnecting the front wheels makes no sense given the capacity of their machine. Their tuner himself has an AWD porsche, they've dynoed several 997C4s, and a recent Lambo. But, they underscore, if I'm not comfortable with their set up I shouldn't engage them for a dyno.

This would be my first AWD dyno, so I'd much appreciate your advice. Thanks.
Old 06-26-2007, 01:14 PM
underpressure02
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My friend bought a Dyno Dynamics and loves it. He has not had any problems dynoing awd cars and very expensive cars. I will try and find his post with the pics of the dyno and some of the cars he has dynoed on the machine.

Quick Reply: Advice on Dyno Dynamics AWD Chassis Dyno