Notices

Salvage Title

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 09:15 AM
dangerdean
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Salvage Title

I am interested in a 1992 964. It has been rebuilt. Below is a quote from the ad.

"The car had a salvage title issued on the car for this damage. That title has been cleared and we have a clear clean title. No marks on the title. "

I know it effects the value, and resale. Is the resale concern most due to the car being "straight"? Is there a way to make sure that it is straight other than eying it? Also, what is the effect on the value?

Thanks for everyone's thoughts.

Dean
Old 04-22-2007, 07:21 PM
CN
Escapee
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It might be a great car. The key word here is "might"! That is because it "might" also be a POS and you are then stuck with it. Be very careful and if it had a salvage title then I find it hard to believe that it can be retitled to "clear". If the price is very low then it would be a lower risk but if they want realistic price for a clear title, I would keep looking.
Old 04-22-2007, 09:42 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

It all depends on the damage as said. Used to be you could clean up a title by rebuilding the car and having it inspected by the state. Water damage, totaled, stolen/recovery, etc.

What kind of "damage" did it have? Any pics, receipts or proof of damage?
Old 04-22-2007, 11:13 PM
dangerdean
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Front end damage. no photos of the wreck. I drove the car, it seems solid. I would have a PPI of coarse. The seller has it "discounted" by 20%. He is asking 19,900 for a 1992 C2 coupe with 65,000 miles. The interior is good about a 7-8, exterior is an 9. Mechanical seems good, the air bag has a clock spring error. Thanks for everyone's input.

Dean
Old 04-22-2007, 11:33 PM
CN
Escapee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dangerdean
Front end damage. no photos of the wreck. I drove the car, it seems solid. I would have a PPI of coarse. The seller has it "discounted" by 20%. He is asking 19,900 for a 1992 C2 coupe with 65,000 miles. The interior is good about a 7-8, exterior is an 9. Mechanical seems good, the air bag has a clock spring error. Thanks for everyone's input.

Dean
$19,900 seems almost in line with those miles BEFORE salvage discount!! At $17k it's worth a second look.

"Front end damage!!!" That is the scariest kind. Better take her up to 120+ mph and feel for shake, rattle & roll. Alignment is very difficult (near impossible) to fix perfectly.
Old 04-24-2007, 11:15 PM
Daniel Dudley
Rennlist Member

What CN says is true. I had a car that was very smooth - below 90 MPH.
Old 04-25-2007, 03:26 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 562 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by dangerdean

Dean
That is a good price for the car if everything checks out mechanically. Have a reputable shop do an extensive PPI. Does the car come with paperwork? Steering rack, clutch/flywheel, engine work, etc. receipts? What options does it have? LSD, trip computer, etc. command a premium. See if you can get another $1,000 off the asking price and you'll be in good shape, provided everything checks out. Good luck

You also might want to post in the 964 forum, you'll get a lot of good opinions on the car there and who knows, maybe someone will recognize the car and give you some history.

PS: Hi Daniel, how's the 951?

Quick Reply: Salvage Title