Notices

Need help with MIG welding aluminum.

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 02:57 AM
planeguy67
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with MIG welding aluminum.

First off, I have a cheap Cambell-Hausfeld welder, so don't bother telling me to get a Lincoln or Miller (I will after I win the lottery). The welder (Model WF2010) was originally born an 85 amp flux core wire feeder, but I upgraded it with CH's MIG conversion kit: New MIG torch handle/hose assembly and fixed 30 CFH gas regulator. I also made a little modification of my own to make polarity switching easier.

The unit works fine for flux core welding steel and does a satisfactory job with stainless steel using Tri-mix (He, Ar, CO2 blend), but I cannot get this thing to weld aluminum using 4043 wire and pure Argon gas. Even at the lowest heat setting (the welder only has 2), this thing goes immediately into spray transfer mode and the wire stops feeding. Increasing the stick out to nearly 2" helps a little (the wire will feed), but all I get then is a series of aluminum blobs that look like mouse droppings with little to no fusion. I've tried all kinds of different wire speeds (too fast assures a bird's nest at the feed roller) and tensions without any luck. Yes, I'm using DCEP.

Help me please!!!
Old 03-22-2007, 11:17 AM
ekeeton
Instructor

I think you're going to have to pop for the Miller if you want to end your frustration.
Old 03-22-2007, 05:10 PM
planeguy67
Advanced

Originally Posted by ekeeton
I think you're going to have to pop for the Miller if you want to end your frustration.
Thanks, but before I spend $$$$ for a Miller, I would like to know the problem is with the machine and not the operator.
Old 03-23-2007, 02:39 PM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

I have a Miller 175amp MIG (240V version) and that machine is borderline OK for welding thin aluminum, or so I've been told. You need lots of power to weld aluminum and your little 85A machine at half my capacity probably won't be able to do it.

FYI, if you really want to weld aluminum the 175 isn't the right machine for it. You want to step up to a much larger one depending on the thickness of aluminum you want to weld. Also, the big machines can be easily adapted to use a spool gun which is best for aluminum. My little 175 can be adapted to use a spool gun, but at a cost about equal to the price of the machine!

Cheers,
Old 03-23-2007, 06:07 PM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

One more thing - I'm not sure, but I think with aluminum you need it to be flawlessly clean. I found this site for you. Your contact tip might be too small.

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/knowl...compactmig.asp

Cheers,
Old 04-22-2007, 09:17 AM
M. Requin
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 39 Posts

Just ran across this thread and you may have already bought that Miller but another thing to consider is the alloy you are trying to weld. If it's something like 2024-T35 or 7075-T6 you're going to have problems no matter what equipment you have. For all practical purposes some Al alloys just aren't weldable. If you're not sure, "hardware store" aluminum is usually pretty easy to weld, some of it is even marked as such. Good luck in any case!

Originally Posted by planeguy67
The unit works fine for flux core welding steel and does a satisfactory job with stainless steel using Tri-mix (He, Ar, CO2 blend), but I cannot get this thing to weld aluminum using 4043 wire and pure Argon gas. Even at the lowest heat setting (the welder only has 2), this thing goes immediately into spray transfer mode and the wire stops feeding. Increasing the stick out to nearly 2" helps a little (the wire will feed), but all I get then is a series of aluminum blobs that look like mouse droppings with little to no fusion. I've tried all kinds of different wire speeds (too fast assures a bird's nest at the feed roller) and tensions without any luck. Yes, I'm using DCEP.

Help me please!!!

Quick Reply: Need help with MIG welding aluminum.