Notices

New Tires

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 06:56 PM
Jyoder240
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Tires

Does anyone here have any experience with Bridgestone Potenza RE050A Pole Position tires?

The stock rear Pilot Sports on my car are almost down to the cords so i need to replace them. The front's are almost to the tread wear bars so i still have 5k miles or so on them. I'm not that concerned with treadwear on the Bridgestone's because when all four are worn down i'm going to go 20mm wider at all 4 corners. According to Tirerack the Bridgestone's should be better tires than the stock Michilens. Should I be concerned running Michilens front and Bridgestone rears? Thanks.
Old 01-08-2007, 01:15 AM
ForcedInduction
3rd Gear

I recently got a set for my e55 due to the low introductory pricing they had. That said they are on par with the conti's that came stock on the car, and not nearly as good as the pilot sport 2's that I had previously. They are nice and quiet and ride well, they just lack the ultimate grip, at least in a 469hp 4200lb RWD car.
Old 01-08-2007, 12:40 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Never run different tires on a car. Tread design and gripping features vary on each tire model and you want consistency at all four corners. talk to Damon at Tire Rack. he is an up-front guy and is in the tire business. He will not try to sell you a tire you don't need and will give you many alternatives. I suggest you go to their website and research all tires you may want to put on your vehicle. They have reviews on most all of them. I always do a matrix of the plus' and minus' every time i need tires. I look for the highest number in each category I feel will benefit me and my type of driving and then select the most appropriate tire. If you go with a sticky hot weather tire, it may not be appropriate when there is a little mist or rain.
Old 01-08-2007, 01:39 PM
Jyoder240
Intermediate

Spider: My thinking was that according to tirerack the Bridgestone's offer more traction in both the dry and wet compared to the Michilen's on the front. Besdies that 350Z's have a fair amount of understeer stock. I just don't want to have more grip in the front than the rear for obvious reasons. Do you think i'll be alright or should I still go with the same tires allround? I'll save about $180 dollars with less expensive Bridgestone's, thats why i'm leaning towards them.
Old 01-08-2007, 04:00 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jyoder, In my opinion, and I have been driving performance cars and Porsches over 40 years, is that all tires should match. They may be different sizes on the front and rear, but tread design, compound (200, 300, 400, etc) and spect ratio's should be consistent. Other's may say it's OK to mix, but I've seen what happens when they are mixed and cause an accident and it isn't pretty in most cases. My recommendation is go with the Bridgestones, but do all four at the same time. Saving a few bucks in the short term may cost you in the long run. Just my educated opinion. Good luck in your selection.
Old 01-08-2007, 04:12 PM
Jyoder240
Intermediate

You're not telling me what i want to hear. lol.

Thanks for your opinion, thats why i come here it's a far more knowledgeable and classy group than any 350Z forum.
Old 01-17-2007, 05:41 PM
951Tom
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I think I'm gonna try a set of the BF Goodrich g-Force series. They are a good price and have good reviews. Just another idea for you to ponder....
Old 01-17-2007, 07:20 PM
porschedog
Rennlist Member

Received 321 Likes on 209 Posts

I've got these tires on my car. My only observation is that they are a bit on the loud side.
FWIW, when I need new tires, I plan to upgrade to the Michelins. This is strictly for personal preference issues - the tires are okay, but I've always been happiest with Michelins on my cars and SUVs.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:50 PM
CaptB412
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

I have had the run flat version on my 645 and my mini cooper s. I actually had 18k miles on the 645 before they went (that little red warning light in the bmw came on and ruined my day). For daily driving the REO50 is a better "deal" when you compare mileage, handling costs. That being said, the Michelins are a better performance tire (IMHO) but not noticable enough for "most" people. That being said, when it comes time, I will put the Michelins on the 997 (but will use the REO50s on the Mini).
Old 02-09-2007, 07:51 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

I have the Bridgestones on my 06 997S cab and suggest that you replace all four. They perform well. Have nearly 9000 miles on them and are with about 5/32s remaining.

Quick Reply: New Tires