Notices

OT: What are the best tiles to put on your garage floor? Why? Any good web sites?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2006, 10:22 PM
jasper996
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default OT: What are the best tiles to put on your garage floor? Why? Any good web sites?

OT: What are the best tiles to put on your garage floor? Why? Any good web sites?
Old 10-23-2006, 10:20 AM
slider172
Scared to Look
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dont put tile on your garage floor. Look for a local concrete stainer. You can get any look you are looking for using either an epoxy , or an acid stain. Tiles break. These finishes are Very durable.
Old 10-26-2006, 11:24 AM
Chuck A.
Pro

I put the Moto tiles in from Costco. I think these are the same as the Racedeck. I used black and white to make a checkerboard pattern.

If I had to do it again, I would NOT use white on a garage floor. I would probably go with gray.

The white tiles get dirty the moment you drive the car on them. I never thought I'd see the day where I'm mopping my garage floor to keep it looking good, but I seem to do that a lot.
Old 10-27-2006, 02:42 PM
flatsixfanatic
2nd Gear

Default Costco Motofloor (by Racedeck) + Racedeck edges

I did my floor over three months ago. My garage is about 22x24 feet. I knew from reading all I could about Racedeck-type tiles NOT to put any liner or padding underneath (mildew and mold and yucky smells are sure to be a problem for many who seem determined to do that - at least in the Southeast where I live) or to fit the flooring tightly to the walls and run the risk of heat/cold expansion/contraction problems, so I ordered enough tiles to have a 20 foot square assemblage of them.

Because the Racedeck tiles seemed way too expensive for my humble garage, and because the previous owner's many coats of poorly applied and peeling epoxy were a mess and would take a lot of money to clear off for another epoxy try - and frankly because I think the Racedeck type of tiles looked great on many web photos I'd seen, I used the much cheaper made-by-Racedeck Costco Motofloor gray tiles for most of my floor, with some of the Costco whites and blacks for a two row start/finish line near the entry to the garage and for a little four tile by four tile checkered flag between the hoods of the two cars. That way only a couple-few of the white tiles are ever driven over, and none is parked on. None has gotten dirty, just a bit dusty like the other ones, and my blower or a broom quickly remedies that situation once a month or so.

I didn't want to waste money by over-ordering the Costco edge and corner-edge pieces (because Costco packages them in odd quantities), so those I ordered directly from Racedeck. Before installing the tiles, I installed a better barrier on the bottom of my garage door, and a ParkSmart garage door seal. I painted a couple of coats of outdoor porch/patio paint for the foot or so border between the 20 foot of floor tiles and the walls of the garage, which took just about an hour total. I started the installation almost touching the ParkSmart seal, so the painted floor would not be touched by car tires. The installation of the tiles was EASY, like Legos for grownups, and took just a couple of hours (could have been faster if I'd been in any hurry) while one of my sons watched cartoons on our garage TV. He wasn't wild about the design as I had drawn it out on paper, but he and his brother have LOVED it afterwards, and so have I!

I wondered if the floor tiles would shift, but that wondering ended by about the time I got half the tiles assembled, for no more shifting occurred during installation and none has occurred since. I STRONGLY recommend that when installing the tiles, the installer be sure that he or she has things lined up right before getting to about the fourth row, because it's easier to assemble tiles than it is to disassemble them (I only had to do that once when I lost track of the correct white-black order)....
Old 10-27-2006, 05:14 PM
Porscheby40
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Floor Tiles

I went with Racedeck (B & W with Red border), and I love it.

PM me if you'd like details on where I got them, etc...
Old 09-15-2010, 12:20 PM
RaceDeck
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 154 Likes on 41 Posts

Just drop me a line and we will get you a Rennlist Forum quote.
Cheers
All Rennlist Members Get Club Discounts on RACEDECK, the original USA made, multi-patented modular garage flooring system

22' GT3 Touring CXX - Auratium Green / Graphite Blue interior ( CXX )
991 GT2 RS Weissach - Chalk
991.2 Carrera 4 S in Chalk
993 Turbo White/ red interior
997.1 911 GT2 Black
73 - RS custom 3.6L White
24' GT4RS Oslo (still in production)
92' 964 soon a "Turbo Study"

Quick Reply: OT: What are the best tiles to put on your garage floor? Why? Any good web sites?