Notices

Is this real?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2006, 01:41 PM
NeufCentOnze
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Is this real?

To be fashionable, may be the Panamera will also come with a joystick?
Attached Images        
Old 09-03-2006, 08:34 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,200 Likes on 1,241 Posts

Real or not, it will take years for something like that to be DOT legal in the US.
Old 09-03-2006, 10:03 PM
Paddy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

I want to stick something in my eye- that is the ugliest car I have ever seen
Old 09-03-2006, 10:11 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Saab built a joystick car about two decades back. Easier to drive under "normal" conditions but would take some effort to build one (in those days) that would beat the "analog" of the steering wheel.
With the electronic aides in an F1 car today, I could see a joy-stick becoming a logical adaptation. Imagine having roll effect roll stiffness as well as steering, while yaw (pedals) would effect all four wheels brake bias (left/right and front/rear at concurrently) and pitch might take on different roles (such as adjusting aerodynamics while a combined throttle/pitch control like a helicopter could combine power (twist grip) with gear shifts (thumb switch) and the lever action could have a mid point of neutral where up suggests more over-steer and down suggests more under-steer (when turning) or more or less fore/after drag in a straight line.

After all, the current controls basically suggest we drive with one foot and one hand doing one thing each -- compared to various other powered vehicle controls, the automobile is still in the dark ages.

As for this Chrysler Mercedes example, I think it's pretty decent but I'd hesitate to have a car where the controls are fully available to the passenger.
Old 09-04-2006, 11:24 PM
Chuck A.
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea, it's real...real ugly! Those wheels belong on a Hyundai
Old 09-04-2006, 11:38 PM
Moogle
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Disgusting.
Old 09-05-2006, 12:08 AM
Crunky
Pro

The rear of the door back looks simialr to an Accord Coupe, and those wheels look like chrome plated pizzas.
Old 09-05-2006, 10:42 AM
GG Allin
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

That car is ten years old. It was at the auto show in Chicago in either 96 or 97.
Old 09-05-2006, 10:12 PM
thomas
Instructor

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
As for this Chrysler Mercedes example, I think it's pretty decent but I'd hesitate to have a car where the controls are fully available to the passenger.
DCX was formed in 1998, two years before that concept.

1996 MB F200 concept car predates BMW's iDrive

BMW's iDrive system of central control of gizmos was predated by the system used in the 1996 Mercedes-Benz F200 concept car.

The F200 had styling similar to the 2000 Mercedes-Benz CL coupe.

From the press release:

"The remaining display segments within the fields of vision of both driver and co-driver can be programmed at will. The required information can be called up by means of a rotary control: interior climate, navigation, TV, video, video games, PC, on-board computer, radio, CD player, telephone and a "help" function. The interior temperature on the driver's and front passenger's sides, out-side temperature and time of day are permanently displayed. The central display segment shows the area immediately behind the car, filmed by the rear video camera, when the F 200 Imagination is reversing.

The controls for heating, electric windows, swing-out-and-up doors, automatic transmission, lights, hazard warning lights, seat heating and stereo unit are arranged on a panel in front of the display where it is within easy reach of both driver and front passenger. This high-quality stainless steel panel provides a visual link with the stainless steel trim of the bodywork. The switches for the electric seat adjustment with memory function and for footrest adjustment are located in the door trim. A bracket for the mobile phone is mounted to the front stowage compartment in the dashboard. Placing the phone into its bracket activates the hands-off system as well as a new speech recognition system which makes manual handling of the car phone largely superfluous."

http://www.conceptcar.ee/mercedesbenz/f200/

The following is from DaimlerChrysler on the 1995 Mercedes-Benz Vario Research Car:

"DaimlerChrysler engineers had also incorporated a new-style operating and control system into the dashboard of the Vario Research Car which harnessed the wonders of the latest microelectronics to make life easier for the motorist. All key operating information appeared in the form of symbols and text messages on two colour displays integrated into the cockpit and into the top section of the centre console. Easily understood coloured symbols were used to display important information about maintaining the applicable speed limit or a safe distance from the vehicle in front."

1995 Mercedes-Benz Vario Research Car

Old 09-06-2006, 03:02 AM
911pcars
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No comment except the wheel covers look like bullet holes were the rage then.

Sherwood
Old 09-06-2006, 12:18 PM
Porschefile
Three Wheelin'

Is it just me or do concept cars have the UGLIEST wheels ever?! Obviously the people behind these concepts slept through that part of the class.
Old 09-06-2006, 01:15 PM
ESL
Addict
Rennlist Member

Those wheels are cheesy...Swiss cheesy!

Quick Reply: Is this real?