Notices

I want a Porsche...wife says no.

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 12:43 AM
Nifty
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

(dont let the post count fool you, I lurk this board often as I am currently shopping for a P car now)

Sold mine ten years ago just before marriage so we could get a house. I'm in the same position now with my wife and another Porsche. This is what I have been doing so far...

I leave lots of Porsche books laying around.
I tell her she would look great behind the wheel when we see one.
I compliment her on how well she currently drives (and she is a good driver). I will never forget the time I rode with her while she test drove a Z3, she knows how to drive.
I mention we could get one and go away by ourselves to Destin for the weekend (something with kids is just hard to do)

Ok. All that's been happening for about three months. The trick is not to press. In conversation, my wife has basically reminded me about some of the more costly repairs with my old one, which is true. I counter by reminding her I would take the kids (both boys) to races or whatever (good father ploy) -which I really would do anyway.

Just today, she comes back from the grocery store and said, out of the blue, she saw one for sale in a neighbors driveway. (Progress) I did not jump out and run down the street - I waited until after we watched the movie she rented and then went on "an errand'.
Old 01-09-2006, 10:00 PM
Daniel Dudley
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Patience and persistance. You sly dog.
Old 01-11-2006, 02:32 AM
Lohr
Track Day

I only had to hammer my wife every day for a year and a half about it, double my income, promise I wouldn't bug her for another child and find a sweet car 6k under wholesale blue book to get her to say yes. Just picked up my 99 C4 Coupe last week. Ah, sweet victory!
Old 01-11-2006, 06:49 AM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

You want a Porsche, wife says no... sounds like you need to stop asking permission, it's YOUR life too.
Old 01-11-2006, 12:19 PM
mr997
Advanced

Originally Posted by pcar964
You want a Porsche, wife says no... sounds like you need to stop asking permission, it's YOUR life too.
exactly what i was thinking.
Old 01-11-2006, 01:43 PM
BigLou
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

If you can afford it, which it seems like you can, I definately agree with pcar964....IT'S YOUR LIFE TOO!!!

Lou
Old 01-12-2006, 01:42 AM
G Man
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You want a Porsche because you want a Porsche. That's it. No one says it has to be a logical decision. It is a toy to be enjoyed and played with. If it makes you happy, then so be it. If you really want a Porsche and can afford it, maybe you can sit down with your wife and convince her that you really want to have one and that it means alot to you. Is there a legitimate reason that she doesn't want you to have a Porsche. If she says it's not pratical then agree with her. It's not. It's a sports car. Like I said earlier, it's a toy. So go get that Porsche and have some fun!
Old 01-12-2006, 08:18 AM
Over Boost
Instructor

"Diamonds... she will pretty much have to." If anyone watches family guy then you know what im talking about?
Old 01-12-2006, 10:36 AM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by S2TGART
Do you have small kids? This was one of the things that sold my wife was that the whole family could actually fit in it.
Ditto.
Old 01-12-2006, 06:06 PM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just talked to my wife about ordering one of these:

http://www.virtualracerx.com/

After 5 years of talking about getting a Porsche and her saying, we don't need it (which I agreed), she said "I'd rather see you get a Porsche than to put that big thing in my house". I said, okay, you pick. The virtual sports car or the real deal --- my car arrives in Februrary. If only I had known sooner... :-)
Old 01-12-2006, 07:01 PM
MrSwede
Intermediate

It is always easier if the wife agrees with the decision. However, at the end of the day, who wears the pants around your house? Be a man and buy the car.
Old 01-12-2006, 08:02 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by MrSwede
It is always easier if the wife agrees with the decision. However, at the end of the day, who wears the pants around your house? Be a man and buy the car.
Exactly
Old 01-13-2006, 02:16 AM
rbennett
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Seric
If it wasn't for my finace, I wouldn't be driving a Porsche right now. Her family is on their 8th and 9th Porsches, so it's really a no-brainer. Course, she doesn't want children and can't wait to get a Boxster S.

Lucky me? Yes.
Seric, I gotta ask, is your avatar you "$hit faced at a wedding????)

You just look like a guy enjoying himself tooooooo much!!

Regards
Old 01-13-2006, 02:56 PM
ewainwright
Racer

My two cents.

To hell with the roses, jewelry, and the patience route. If I had to wait to get permission, I would still be waiting. Mine is a CPA (not the accountant rather a Certified Pain in the ***) She never liked the Porsche, always talks about how the money could have been better spent (on her of course) and has fits with every modification that I’ve ever made to the car. Bottom line, deal with it and get the car that you want. Your life may be miserable all night long but when the morning comes and you turn the key the only thing the Porsche will ask you is “how high daddy.” Now if Porsche could only build a replacement for the wife/girl friend
Old 01-13-2006, 03:23 PM
michaelhofastcar
Intermediate

This topic has stirred up a lot of emotions within me. I have been waiting for one year, test drove numerous P-cars. I even borrowed my old classmate's 85 Targa and got my wife in the passenger seat. After roaming on a hillside, she shook her head and said "NO".
This last Christmas I bought her 0.68CT diamond pendant, 0.40CT diamond solitair ring, and a matching diamond bracelet (forgot the Total Weight). Now I am letting her to sink in and for me to recoupe those money spent.

Quick Reply: I want a Porsche...wife says no.