Notices

I want a Porsche...wife says no.

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2005, 01:24 AM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by jwasbury
My wife is very practical (she drives a Daewoo, the thing was 10k brand new), and she just thinks such a car is completely unnecessary. To make matters worse, she is an attorney and very bright, so its difficult to argue with her.
A 911 isn't a logical purchase. It's an emotional one. Trying to justify it to yourself let alone someone else isn't possible. How are diamonds a logical purchase?

If you've taken care of everything you have to (house, future, retirement etc.) why shouldn't you purchase something you enjoy while you are still young enough to enjoy it? Too many people wait for SOMEDAY which never comes. My dad passed away 2 years ago at a young 55. Growing up he found he enjoyed being out on his boat (cruiser) with my mom and family. As my sister and I grew up that was still his place, his sanctuary. He enjoyed life by living it.

My car is everything I've dreamed of as a kid. For me it makes all the effort I put into the rest of my life worthwhile. It is mine. My place. My sanctuary. I focus on driving, on the shifting, accelerating, braking. Last weekend before I put my car away for winter I went out for a drive. 300km later I had gone nowhere but I felt better than when I left.

Enthusiasts don't buy a Porsche because it's a high priced car, they buy it for the way it makes them feel.
Old 11-19-2005, 05:41 AM
Irishdriver
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Forget Justification - there is no justification for a Porsche when Dawoo's are 10k.

But point out that the main reason for buying a Porsche now is because you want one and you are still healthy enough to enjoy one.......
Old 11-19-2005, 12:27 PM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Make her drive one. This is a practical exotic car. I got my wife infected by borrowing friends / family Porsches and giving her limited doses. It got her hooked like a herion addiction. Before we bought she did enough research to qualify for a PHD. That has paid off when she was able to talk to our mechanic; he treats her with respect.

We now fight over who is going to drive it to work.

The social aspect is a good thing as well we go everywhere togeather in it and meet Porsche owners whereverwe go.

Be patient, persistant, and start a fund with your own separate funds.
Old 11-19-2005, 01:23 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I always had sports cars when I was single, but that went away when I got married. After the first kid, and the second house, I found myself at the seven year stage. I told my wife I had the seven year itch, and I was getting either a girlfriend or a Porsche. I told her she could pick. I'm now on my third Porsche.
Old 11-20-2005, 07:02 PM
stingray
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another angle might be to find the local Porsche club and attend some of their functions. Let her meet some of the wives in the club and she might see it as a sociial opportunity.
Old 11-21-2005, 09:52 AM
Lizard1
Racer

i bought my second porsche and the Girlfriend of 6 yrs (living together) was threatening to go back to Texas (we live in Atlanta) on the whole ride over to the dealership in South Carolina. I was laughing at her because I had a flawless diamond on self-designed setting that took months to put together sitting in the backseat in my briefcase. However, the laughing only made the situation worse. I remember words such as "You're such an *******" "You're sooo selfish" I'm packing as soon as we get back & I mean it" "I hope you're happy sleeping in the garage"

As you can imagine I was just bowling over laughing which almost made her start hitting me Needless to say, 30 minutes later she couldn't stop shaking and crying when I was on a knee. I woke up at 5:30am the next morning to go to work and she wasn't in bed?? Went into the bathroom and she was sitting on her counter looking at the ring from all angles in the mirror - she said hadn't slept

Moral - just get her some jewelry
Old 11-21-2005, 12:28 PM
mroberts
Burning Brakes

Get a 944 - all the bang for a lot less buck. Practical too - you can fit a bunch of stuff in the hatch.

Unless you're absolutely wedded to the 911 look.
Old 11-21-2005, 04:24 PM
Seric
Pro

If it wasn't for my finace, I wouldn't be driving a Porsche right now. Her family is on their 8th and 9th Porsches, so it's really a no-brainer. Course, she doesn't want children and can't wait to get a Boxster S.

Lucky me? Yes.
Old 12-01-2005, 03:19 AM
hderr
Rennlist Member

Make sure it's her favorite color, my cars are all red, for that reason.
Old 12-02-2005, 02:50 PM
hlj821
Racer

I took mine for a spirited drive in the 928, never heard another complaint after that.
Old 12-03-2005, 10:17 AM
greg5149
Intermediate

Trade her in! Course, you may be "upsidedown" on the deal...LOL
Good luck!
Old 12-18-2005, 05:32 PM
Z06 convert
Instructor

Originally Posted by CN
I bought mine a "ROCK" and then told her we need the Cab to compliment the ring. Nuff said...
I bought mine a "ROCK" and then SHE TOLD ME we need a TT to compiment the ring

Have Fun! Steve
Old 12-18-2005, 06:43 PM
rbennett
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

My approach, ask her what her dream car is?
Almost always its a SUV, then buy it for her first.

Wait an appropiate amount of time, in my case, 48 hrs.

Then pop the question, that you want a Porsche and then buy it. They are usally so "Giddy" over their SUV, they rubber stamp your decision.

This is "almost" a patented way of pursuing this dream and is 100% effective!

Good Luck, you will not be sorry!
Old 12-18-2005, 09:10 PM
jwalton
Pro

Received 63 Likes on 28 Posts

my position is that woman need to have something to complain about anyway so you might as well give her the opportunity to complain about something that really gives you satisfaction. Seems like a good trade off its worked for me....I have three p-cars
Old 12-19-2005, 02:39 PM
andrew911
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rbennett
My approach, ask her what her dream car is?
Almost always its a SUV, then buy it for her first.

Wait an appropiate amount of time, in my case, 48 hrs.

Then pop the question, that you want a Porsche and then buy it. They are usally so "Giddy" over their SUV, they rubber stamp your decision.

This is "almost" a patented way of pursuing this dream and is 100% effective!

Good Luck, you will not be sorry!
Now that's a good plan...except it doubles the budget

That SUV could be an upgrade to a turbo or ferrari

Quick Reply: I want a Porsche...wife says no.