Notices

I want a Porsche...wife says no.

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2005, 06:30 PM
Shark
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Conflicts like this are purely a budget issue. Give both of you an allowance for car purchase and maintenance. She can have what she wants within the budget and so can you. If she wants to get by on the cheap and pocket the difference for other hobbies, fine. If you want an older car understanding the higher maintenance comes out of your car allowance, fine.

Problem solved.....NEXT!!!!
Old 11-16-2005, 08:31 PM
SonnyV
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

You should have done what I did. I got the Porsche before I got married.

OR

Tell her that either you get a Porsche or a girlfriend. Her choice.

Sonny
Old 11-16-2005, 08:37 PM
firefly
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Easy. Tell her you are going to get a Harley. She'll suggest a Porsche...
Old 11-16-2005, 08:40 PM
LuisGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Sell the bikes....Trade in the Truck.... Come home with the 911.....Deal with the consequences.
You will still have the 911 the next day. She will be fine in a couple of days. Then take her out in it. The rest will be history.
Old 11-16-2005, 10:19 PM
CN
Escapee
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Come on now!!!

She's a freakin lawyer!!! Thats a license to print money!!!

If you are a "real" man, you will have no problem getting her (who really loves you and wants to prove it in no uncertain terms) to actually write and sign the cheque for your 911.

OR

Tell her you will start smoking and then offer to quit if you can have a Porsche...
Old 11-17-2005, 12:14 AM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"I would give up my 2 italian motorcycles. My wife is an attorney and very bright..."
Run for your life, man - she wants you dead.
Old 11-17-2005, 12:34 AM
SD Porsche Fan
Cast Iron Man
Rennlist Member

Simple, just withhold sex from her. She'll cave in a couple of weeks. Oh wait... I guess that's what they do to us.
Old 11-17-2005, 12:36 AM
jwasbury
Instructor

"Run for your life, man - she wants you dead."
cmon now...this is my wife we're talking about here. she is a fine woman who indulges my hobbies, and I, in turn, indulge hers. my hobbies just happen to be more expensive than hers. as far as giving up the italian bikes...its something i've been leaning towards anyhow since moving into a congested urban area. riding a motorcycle around these parts is suicide. the primary thing stopping me is that i without my motorcycles, i will be left with an itch. enter the porsche.

Some very entertaining ideas like..."i'm getting a porsche, or a girlfriend...your choice dear"

then she really would want me dead
Old 11-17-2005, 02:10 AM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well, seriously, if she's smart as you say, & she really loves you, she'd be begging you to get rid of the bikes & get a Porsche. It is as rational, safe & economical a transportation device as exists. People who deny this truth are closet Calvinists (even Amish will go for a 356 as long as the bumpers are black) or have no faith in competition as the path to improvement (like trial by jury). Good luck (& welcome aboard!)
Old 11-17-2005, 06:32 AM
Daniel Dudley
Rennlist Member

Why did you ask ? Start looking. Be deliberate and obvious about it. How about ''I've always wanted one and I'm going to have one sooner or later.'' Keep the bikes by the way.

I'm assuming you can afford it, and you make a good living on your own. And buy a good one. If it runs well, you will be vindicated. Your only other option is to buy a Ferrari.

Having a conversation about why she doesn't want you to have one might be OK as long as you are clear that it won't affect your choice in the end. If all else fails, start you own bank account.
Old 11-17-2005, 10:23 PM
Red9
Racer

I think you need another attorney! Does that help?
Old 11-18-2005, 04:47 PM
jgrant
Burning Brakes

I bought mine without asking her... after all, it's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission... right?

Also, we flew down to pick up the car in San Diego, and drove it back along the Big Sur coast, etc. We stayed at the Del Coronado in SD, and some swanky spas/resorts near Big Sur. At the end of the trip, the hotel/spa bills were pretty close to the cost of the car.

The clincher was when we were getting gas and some guy came up and told her "hey... you look really good in that car". She's never looked back.
Old 11-18-2005, 11:08 PM
c993k
Rennlist Member

Buy it and store it somewhere else, you can afford it. Then it will be like a mistress and it would add to the excitement when you take it out. You can get a wig and dark sunglasses and a book of 1001 excuses for leaving home. Besides as a lawyer she should be very busy, so you won't have to explain anything. You can also put it in a friend's name and borrow it a lot! Chris
Old 11-18-2005, 11:49 PM
S2TGART
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

A very similar thing happen to my wife as did Jeff's. When wife was driving the SC for the first time, she kept cursing out the clutch, not liking the way it feels. She didn't like the way the pedal gets pushed down throught the floor vs what every other car has. Anyways as we were going along a cop pulls up behind us, no lights, but was definetly following us. We pulled into an apartment complex and followed right behind us. The cop gets out and the very first words he said were ".....maam, you look good driving this car" SOLD! he "stop" us because he thought the dealer's tag was expired. He asked if it was carb. or fuel injection. Said he use to own one and the humidity would cause him problems. He asked if we had taken it out on the highway yet, when my wife replied no he said "...ahhhh you should take it out on the highway and open her up" This coming from a police officer.
Old 11-19-2005, 01:06 AM
marin77
Racer

Did the same thing as Jeff - bought the car in Houston and drove back to NY for one great week of vacation time. I sold her on the fabulous trip along the coast and, towards the end of the negotiations, she was pushing me to buy it at least as much as the dealer! You may have to wait until next summer for that road trip planning though ...

Quick Reply: I want a Porsche...wife says no.