Notices

When did you first know?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2005, 10:27 AM
greg5149
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The first time I drove a 930 and experienced "boost"! After that it was over. I am on # 6 Porsche and 4 have been turbos.
Old 12-03-2005, 10:35 AM
MoonBoy
Pro

I was 19 and walking through a parking lot. Saw the rear end of a red sports car and instantly fell in love. Thought to myself "I must know more about these!" It could've been any kind of car in the world, I loved the looks. Got closer and then thought "Huh. A Porsche 944? OK, I will find out more about these!" Later I would find out much much more than i ever thought possible and still learning. It was eerie becasue I had been a VW fanatic until then, but never really investigated the cars that Porsche made, other than the Beetle... That day changed my life. That was 7 years ago and i've never stopped learning about these cars, and I've owned a 924 and '85 944, someday a 968!
Old 12-03-2005, 11:26 AM
gordo993
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The first time I realized I'd be driving a Porsche is when my wife said "if you like it, then buy it!"

It started when I was a sophmore in high school. I'd sit in the library and read Car & Drivers and Road & Tracks instead of studying. I always read all the articles on Porsches but the one that I remember the most was probably 1987 Car & Driver did an article on the Gemballa Avalanche. What an amazing car! That's when I knew...
Old 12-05-2005, 03:05 PM
No_Substitute
Pro

The 997 video that was floating around about six months ago is the story of my life. I could only find it remaining on one site, and it's kind of cut off on the right side, but...

http://video.craveonline.com/video/i...tsid=27&pid=29

(there's a short video ad before the Porsche video plays)

I'm still waiting for my first Porsche, 25+ years later.

Oh well, maybe next year.

------------------------------------------
Edit:

ahhh just found the good version on my hard drive...11mb WMV file. If someone want to tell me how to post it here, or somewhere else, I will.
Old 12-05-2005, 11:16 PM
Bill Foster
Addict
Rennlist Member

In 1981, I went for a job interview in Tampa. I was told to be in front of the hotel at a certain time. I was, my contact showed up in a 911 and said "get in". Then we went for the interview. Ever since, I said, one of these days...I want one. That day came 11/08/2003 when I picked up my 92 968. Dreams can come true.
Old 12-06-2005, 03:39 PM
care4era
Racer

About 6 months ago when I read all the forums, mags and everyone gave the 911 5 out of 5. Before that my bmw was fine but I felt I needed to go higher up the food chain
Old 12-08-2005, 01:40 AM
no1rc3ur
8th Gear

oh wow...
that video totally blew me away
i know i want one when I saw the car in LA auto show
then I came across this forum and Porsche's website
and all the magazine review that I've read
hope I can achieve my dream 20 years later
Old 12-08-2005, 04:03 PM
dugsud
Instructor

I read somewhere that every car fanatic (which I am) should have a
911 at least once in their life.......and I thought, they can't be 'that'
special.

The problem I have now is I can't imagine life without one!!

Am I sad or what?
Old 12-09-2005, 04:14 PM
The Cleaner
4th Gear

I remember while growing up the 911 was "the driver's car" and I just fell in love with the styling and the heritage of the Porsche. Until recently, I had never driven an older classic 911, just the 993 and 996. Sure the newer cars were faster, but the older car just felt more "alive". Decision made.
Old 12-09-2005, 09:56 PM
S2TGART
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I remember the day vividly. My brother and I were cruising on the highway on our way to the mall. I was in the fast lane going about 70 when a 911 and a 928 passed by on the right probably going about 80. Soon afterward I moved over into that lane to make my way to my exit for the mall. At this point the 911 and 928 found an opening in the fast lane. When the "slow" traffic in front of them cleared, they took off. I mean, they just up and left starting at a cruising speed of about 80. I remember saying to my brother, "....holy #$%$, did you see that?" These cars took off like they were taking off from a stand still. The increase in speed was that noticeable.
This was in the late 80's, I don't remember which 911 is was, it could of been a turbo, I don't know.
Now that I own a 911, I understand.
Old 12-23-2005, 09:44 PM
ARM993
Burning Brakes

About 8 years ago I took a couple free tickets to the Porsche Clash at Watkins Glen a very large and competitive PCA event. I've been into muscle cars and street rods most of my teen and adult years. I've built 3 cars from the ground up and always thought Porsche cars were for the rich and famous. To be honest I used to joke about them when I was a kid with comments like "glorified VW bug", yada yada.

So when I go watch these guys at The Glen flogging street cars around the long course and then noticing license plates on cars that were driven many hours from NJ and other places, I was blown away. I just couldn't believe something you drove on the street would do this on a track. That set the ball in motion for me. All the hot rod projects are now gone and my new to me 993 was put in the garage about a week ago. I'll never go back and am pretty confident there will always be a p-car in at least one bay. What a car.
Old 12-30-2005, 06:37 PM
lowside67
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

I don't have quite as many years of Porsche lineage as some of you folks do, but there's a story nonetheless. Predominantly before I was born, my dad has been a Porsche afficiado for many years and has had an impressive stable of 911s and 944s mostly, some notables being one of the first 911 turbos available, a very rare super-low mileage S2 cabriolet, and a few other very cool cars.

When I was 15 years old he still had the S2 cabrio, and it was understood it was to be mine, I'd been saving and saving and knew it was going to be mine. However, we are in the car business as a family (we own a collection of used car dealers in my hometown of Vancouver, BC in Canada) and sure enough, right before my 16th birthday when I was to get my license, the car sold.

I was heartbroken but vowed I'd have my own Porsche before I was 20.

I spent the next 2 years buying and selling cars from the dealer auctions to private individuals, working my way up from my first car, an 87 BMW 325is to my first Porsche a month ago or so, an 00 Porsche Boxster S.

That car has since sold, and at the tender age of just shy of 19 years old, I just purchased my first 911, a 99 C2 Cabriolet in Glacier White/Metropol Blue.

Quick Reply: When did you first know?