Porsche design Charasteristics

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2005, 06:53 AM
plop911
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porsche design Charasteristics

Hi there,

Currently i'm working on a project about the charasteristics of Porsche cars.

I'm trying to find the distinguishing features of the earlier and latest Porsche models, especially the 911. What is it that characterises the design of Porsche?

If you have any ideas about this please let me know, because it would be helpful for me to hear about this from some real Porsche fanatics.

Also, if you know a good website about this subject i'd be more then happy to hear about it.
Old 10-06-2005, 12:10 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think the distinguishing features of the early 911s (and the 356s that preceeded them) are easy enough. An air cooled engine (actually oil cooled; the air cooled 12 quarts of oil, which then cooled the engine) that was a flat-six placed behind the the rear axle line. To me those three engine aspects constitute the biggest difference, but there were also many other quirks, such as using torsion bars instead of coiled springs, and placing the switch to the left of the steering column (a hold-over from running Le Mans starts). Porsche was also a relatively small company that liked to promote the idea that its cars were hand built by craftsmen. Porsche was somewhat slow to modernize with the 911, but now seems willing to move into the 21st century. Of the 911 quirks mentioned above, only the rear engine and switch location quirks remain. Perhaps the most complete source for Porsche history is the 3-volume set "Porsche: Excellence Was Expected" by Karl Ludvigsen.

Last edited by Jim Michaels; 10-06-2005 at 12:12 PM. Reason: correction
Old 10-06-2005, 11:14 PM
Daniel Dudley
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All Porsches have a very solid feeling body platform, solid engines and drivetrains. The designs reflect rational and logical German engineering to a fault, without comprimise. They are sporting cars representing a racing heritage.
Old 10-06-2005, 11:55 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

some people (critics within the auto design / engineering / production biz) have said that the 50s - 80s Porsches are the "most underdesigned & overengineered cars in history." keep in mind that the 356 / 911 series are the result of an integrated design process - springing from the philosophy of Ferdinand & the implementation by his son, Ferry (& his son & extended family - the business). idiosyncratic, iconic, competition-bred, unique of-a-piece feeling.

Quick Reply: Porsche design Charasteristics