Notices

My dad wants to buy a Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2005, 03:21 AM
944TurboStar
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ciemo,

Thank you. very nice response. I have done some research and it seems it is definately worth it to consider the 993. Test drives will be a must I'm sure. I have seen the reports on the Cayman and I'm beginning to think this will be the right car for my father. I have heard some disturbing reports on problems with the 997 engines. Dont know if its true but ........

Thanks.
Old 04-29-2005, 05:08 AM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ciemo
....... Frankly the best buy may be a
My thoughts exactly. I started looking for a collector. So I went through every iteration of 2 seater, V12 powered early Ferrari cars. (A sales rep told me Ferrari 4 seaters are known as "whales" by the aficianado) Engine is marvelous but much of the other hardware is software... The same was true of other Italians although the Lamborghini Miura SV was reported as reliable and ... rare. So their prices were too high for me. So I investigated the new Porsches. Became a toss between the 996 GT3 and the 993 RS. For equal money to a good GT3, I got the 993RS. Go figure!

IMO, the aircoolers will be more collectible because of the "traditional" Porsche aura. They are simple to work on, well engineered and DIY projects are rewarding and relatively inexpensive. More a question of reflecting about the process, ensuring you have the correct parts and tools and take the jump.

Come on in, the water (air) is fine. Plus there is Rennlist when you need assistance
Old 04-30-2005, 01:23 AM
CN
Escapee
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1998 993 C2 Cab. Silver so he doesn't need to wash it all the time.
Old 04-30-2005, 10:02 AM
caf
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd go early 996. Lighter than a 993 when introduced, more power, much better torque, faster on the street, faster on the racetrack, more comfortable, looks much sleeker than the 993 which has a rather stodgy upright 60's era greenhouse.

Depreciation? The 996's have depreciated faster than the 993's. That's because Porsche manufactured exactly 1.4 quadrillion of them. Certainly the 993's will always be rarer. Last of the air-cooled cars? Thank God, that now means that Porsches can be powered by more sophisticated multi-valve engines. The biggest advantage of the 993 engine is it's true dry sump; which means better oiling under extreme conditions, and more oil leaks on the garage floor. The 996 engine is far more serviceable, and cheaper to operate, and as already mentioned, has much better torque.

RMS? Can be a problem in 996's; all the older cars have their own problems, too, just different ones. Even taking the possibility of RMS into account, you'll spend less in maintenance on a newer car. Your biggest expense on any rear-engined Porsche will be rear tires.

Bottom line, of course, is to drive some cars.

Quick Reply: My dad wants to buy a Porsche