Porsche ownership....

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2005, 05:24 PM
CISCOKID
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Porsche ownership....

Porsche ownership……..

It’s a funny thing about owning a 911. It can bring such highs… and such lows. There is the first time I saw one as a young boy, my first ride. The high of first time I saw my 911 role out of the car transport into the sunlight. The low of the trip to the dealer to argue over a RMS leak “996”. My sons first drive in his car seat… oh so careful. Having to replace the rear tires once a year. Tail wagging fun at the race track.

Today was another low, the end of my lease… I never thought a car would affect me in such a way. How can someone feel emotion about an object. As I sit here and write this, I think I can put it something like this. I did not care for the object so much as what the car enabled. So many fun trips out to and around the foot hills of West Virginia. So many people I have met. The way my son asks everyday to take a ride in the porschhhhhaaaaa “he’s three”.

Its been some of the best three years of my life… For those who own their's and the ones who still have the lease timer ticking… Go for a drive… Every minute wasted is a minute wasted on the road.

So I’m off to the dealer to look at the new 997S. You did not think I would be Porsche-less for long did you??? =)
Old 03-22-2005, 07:39 PM
Adrienne
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Good story. I can so relate. I've had my targa about 2 1/2 years. Low - having to spend a fortune on a top end rebuild. High - getting it back from the shop, ever so slightly tweeked. Heaven, just heaven.

Good luck finding your replacement!
Old 03-22-2005, 07:58 PM
Kevin Ross
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Every minute wasted is a minute wasted on the road..."

Amen!

I think we all relate!

As I write this I am about to get up and go pay Porsche here in Australia a lot of money (well to me anyway - $3000) for a service, rear reflector replacement, front wheel bearing replacement, cracked foglight replacement, door seal replacement, and a very rought sounding airpump replacement... I will need new tyres pretty soon....)

It makes me want to wrap it in cotton wool and leave it in the garage.... but no matter how much I try not to put kms on it, every time I go into the garage, the next thing I know I am blasting down the 60km highway into the city!

997S... look after it, I'm looking for a good one in about 3 years
Old 03-27-2005, 05:55 PM
Rob951
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You really hit the nail on the head.

High - Letting my father dirve it for the first time on some west coast back roads for an afternoon and seeing his grin from ear to ear as he gets pinned to the seat as the tach blasts past 3500rpm's for the first time in my '87 951

Low - Maintenance costs for these cars

But the lows are worth it. I can't imagine ever owning any other brand of vehicle again. Have had mine for a year now and I'm hooked.
Old 03-27-2005, 10:55 PM
gordo993
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Low: Top end rebuild less than a month after buying.
High: Just about every moment since!
Old 04-08-2005, 09:46 PM
LouZ
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Philly Area ----- George Washington took a dump in my backyard!
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

High: driving it!
Low: parkingit!
Old 04-09-2005, 02:24 AM
bjzorn
Canadian Yankee
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

High first time I drove my 90 944 S2 home it was a nice 2 hour drive, and the first time I let my dad drive it and seeing his reaction

Low the manitence cost, but it sure is worth it

Brandon

Quick Reply: Porsche ownership....