Best Porsche magazine?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2005, 11:05 PM
Nicole
Cottage Industry Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 150 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Gregory
Do they have an English language edition? I looked at their web site, and didn't see how to subscribe, but then again my German is extraordinarily limited (along the lines of the Robert Klein skit on substitute teaching, where he's asked to substitute for a German teacher. He says he doesn't know German, the principal says 'nothing'? Klein says 'sauerkraut', to which the principal says 'solid, be there at 9')
Auto Motor und Sport (http://www.auto-motor-sport.de/) is German only. My subscription runs through SCW Media (http://www.scw-media.de/scw-portal/s...ell&gpherk=500), but their website does not offer the US subscriptions. I'll keep my eyes peeled and post here when I find out how to subscribe from the US. I've had mine for so long - I don't remember how I started it.

PS: You can always email to abo-service@scw-media.de and ask them.
Old 02-08-2005, 04:32 AM
mac993
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If I'm not mistaken GT and Excellence are sister magazines.
Old 02-08-2005, 06:21 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I wouldn't be so quick to call the PCA publication Panorama "useless." I've seen some very good articles on historic Porsches in past issues, if you're interested in that sort of thing.

As a Porsche Club member I get Christophorus free as well, but haven't noticed as much advertising as someone said. Perhaps the U.S. edition has more ads? As for its "usefulness" I think Christophorus has a "finer things in life" editorial philosophy that isn't meant to cater to the gearhead, but rather to the car enthusiast who is open to enjoying many different topics. Nothing wrong with that. Personally, I find the magazine has improved substantially over the past 2 years, with several in depth articles on its latest models and some nice reports on classic events like the Mille Miglia.

As for 911 & Porsche World, it probably is the best and no, it's not thin by any means but growing steadily in contents -the most recent issues have glued flat backs rather than the former stapled kind.
Old 02-08-2005, 09:16 AM
GOSANE
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like "excellence" a great deal. I have every issue.
Old 02-10-2005, 03:49 AM
Nicole
Cottage Industry Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

I have a whole bunch of Excellence magazines that I'd like to get rid of. I'll take any reasonable offer...
Old 02-10-2005, 04:53 PM
Chase72
Racer

Nicole: were you thinking of selling the entire lot, or would you also consider individual issues?
Old 02-12-2005, 03:41 AM
BigLou
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I always buy 911 and Porsche World, Excellence and GT Purely Porsche, but 911 and Porsche World is my favorite out of them, even though they did stop the Running Reports of reader's cars awhile back.

Lou
Old 02-20-2005, 11:24 PM
mach-hog
Intermediate

For my two-bits worth, "Excellence" is a pretty good resource. I am not a super gear-head, so it's OK for me. I like "Christophorous" too for its glossy lifestyle stuff.
Old 02-21-2005, 12:27 AM
Asterix
Advanced

I frequesntly grab 911 & Porsche World from the magazine stands. Sometimes GT Purely Porsche too. 911 & Porsche World tops my list.
Old 02-21-2005, 07:22 AM
Miles965uk
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Theres a new mag coming out called total 911.... they are saying its going to be different magazine from the others. i hope so. I buy 911 world and GT porsche (which do good pictures) but to be honest they are all not that great, i hate how they write articles and really beef things up and how they try and explain how fast a car is and go into nothing techincal.
There was an article of a 993TTS and a 996TX50 but it was just full of waffle, they mention the 993 had 'something' done the front anti rollbar to make it handle soooo much better...... wow i thought! what did they do to it? but no explaination whatsoever.
Old 02-21-2005, 07:39 AM
jgrant
Burning Brakes

I'd love to see a magazine, even an electronic one delivered every few months, that goes into the deeper side of the technology. This would include the stupid things, like how to maintain your failing electrical system on an '82 930 (I've got problems with my climate control sensor, and have to replace that $52 electrical component of the ignition, etc.) right up to the more "tuner" stuff... CIS to EFI, etc.

I've picked up a bunch of excellent books on the subject (101 projects, etc.), but it would also be great to see some in-depth, big glossy picture articles on this kind of thing... something similar to what I see in various 4x4 and OffRoad mags, where they show you how they installed the components (suspension, engine components, etc), and then tested / reviewed them in detail.

$0.02
Old 03-02-2005, 11:23 AM
craig001
Drifting

Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

I am partial to Excellence. I have managed to assemble a complete set less 3 I think. Great leisure reading. I am excited about this Total 911, though I had to postpone my subscription due to some surgery (trying to cut expenses for a while).
Old 03-03-2005, 09:35 PM
Ess_Three
Advanced

I subscribe to both 911 & Porsche World and GT Purely Porsche...both easy to get and reasonable for us UK types...
Another UK mag worth reading is 'evo'...not Porsche specific, but exceptionally well written, funny, and a healthy liking of all things Porsche...which is never a bad combination!
Old 03-05-2005, 10:23 AM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm positive that GT Purely Porsche and Excellence are not related.
Old 04-18-2005, 03:38 AM
Nicole
Cottage Industry Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

I finally found the website where you can subscribe to German magazines, including the Auto Motor und Sport magazine. Here it is:

http://www.glpnews.com/EN/index.html

Quick Reply: Best Porsche magazine?