Notices

Thread restorer or tap and die set?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2004, 03:02 AM
Dare
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Thread restorer or tap and die set?

I’m in the midst of an engine rebuild on my 951 (my first time rebuilding an engine), and I’d really like to clean all the threads on the block and other parts before I put things back together. I originally went looking for a metric tap and die set, but then ran across thread restorer kits from various sources. Snap-On has one, and there’s one from Kastar that looks pretty good (http://www.kastar.com/product_pages/971.html).

Anybody have any opinions on thread restorers verses tap and die sets? I really don’t think I’ll have much need for a large tap and die set beyond chasing threads. If I end up having to redrill/tap a hole I figure I can always buy individual taps on an as needed basis. Plus I’ve read that you want to use bottoming taps for thread chasing, which can’t be used to tap new holes.

Any suggestions/tips from experienced rebuilders would be appreciated.
Old 12-05-2004, 02:46 PM
jaycm
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the problem you will run into with a starting tap is that you cannot clean the last few threads at the bottom of the holes. i guess they are task specific.
Old 12-06-2004, 03:54 PM
Jeremy Pinsly
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Helicoil kits work great.......Basically you are inserting new threads into the hole to bring the stripped threads back to spec. It is simple to use and works great.

Quick Reply: Thread restorer or tap and die set?