Notices

Radar Detectors

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2004, 09:41 PM
Kaz
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Best bet is to use any radar detector you get in conjunction with other speed trap avoidance measures you regularly drive with.
Old 11-30-2004, 08:55 AM
Aussie Alan 993
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It makes me sad and a bit angry but I have kept my radar detector in it's box in the top of my wardrobe for the last 12 years or more.

They not only became illegal to use, but illegal to own in NSW Australia.

The technology is probably greatly advanced and they are probably half the size, but I just can't get myself to throw it away.

Highway patrol cars were reportedly fitted with radar detector detectors and I know someone who was chased, his car searched and was hit with a $2000 fine when they found his RD that was well concealed... And he was not even speeding...

I found that most times that it went off I would check my speed and find I was only slightly over, although once I was sitting on about 125 to 130MPH in a 100kmh zone (60MPH) in my hotted up VW (the speedo needle was pointing at the second digit of the odometer well past the last graduation of 110MPH) and the RD went off at full strength, I stood on the brakes and pulled her back to the speed limit.

I was booked for 125kmh which was a much lesser offence, It payed for itself that night, but I still feel a bit naked without it....

One day I might throw it away, but not yet.
Old 12-01-2004, 09:31 PM
peterjcb
Burning Brakes

Here's an interesting review that I found on the top three Radar Detectors. It appears that the Valentine1 has been dethroned.
Old 12-01-2004, 09:52 PM
socal_ty
4th Gear

I bought a V1 with my first Porsche (Boxster) and with 6 years of daily speeding, I only received one ticket (instant on while on an empty hwy in Ohio). If you're going to speed, you have to have one. It only helps. Tried other detectors before V1 and wondered how I lived without it. Once you go V1....you unlikely go back.
Just my .02
Old 12-03-2004, 06:53 PM
SD Porsche Fan
Cast Iron Man
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by peterjcb
Here's an interesting review that I found on the top three Radar Detectors. It appears that the Valentine1 has been dethroned.

As an owner of several BEL units and now a V1 this article is way off. The V1 has several modes and user programable features that don't rely on masking certain signals or ignoring others. How does an "auto mute" feature give you better "protection"? They seem to weigh all features equally and ignore totally what the V1 offers plus it's upgradeable.

It is more of a thinking drivers radar surveillance device that allows the user to decide based on band type, direction and number of signals. Your best defence against any threat is information and the V1 simply gives you more.

When used in conjunction with your normal speed trap avoidance techniques you can determine if the signal is a threat or just an alarm system or store front that you normally drive by. If there is an extra signal from a different direction than normal... the other's just can't provide that information.

After all that being said it is better to have some protection than none at all. Just my .02

edit - I know it's a couple years old but here is the Car and Driver Test from 2 years ago where the V1 dominated the field.

The Great Detector Test
Old 12-07-2004, 01:08 AM
SoFast
Racer

That test is bogus! The radar company set up that website. There was an article in a magazine all about it!!! Yes, V1 is the best. As well, you can buy Laser jammers in the U>S. Those are not illegal becuase they do not use radio wave lenght transmission, which is regulated by the F.C.C. There are som eon the market and they cost quite the penny! Bets suggestion is, only speed when there is alot of traffic. This gives you the best odds at detecting and being detected!
Old 12-07-2004, 09:18 PM
sonny1
Banned

Don't get confused,V1 is really the best, period.,cheers,Sonny.
Old 12-07-2004, 11:08 PM
Jim_H
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wouldn't leave home with out my V1. Seriously it works great.

Last edited by Jim_H; 12-10-2004 at 02:15 AM.
Old 12-08-2004, 06:56 PM
Tony K
Burning Brakes

Someone should forward this thread to that V1 inventor guy on the back cover of all the car magazines!

Aussie Alan - what you need is a radar detector detector detector!

Cheers,
Old 12-09-2004, 07:18 PM
SD Porsche Fan
Cast Iron Man
Rennlist Member

I sent a link to the thread to Valentine. Maybe they'd become a sponser and give Rennlister's a discount!
Old 12-12-2004, 06:34 PM
Greg A
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SD Porsche Fan
I sent a link to the thread to Valentine. Maybe they'd become a sponser and give Rennlister's a discount!
Don't hold your breath, there is zero chance of that happening.

Greg A
Old 12-12-2004, 06:50 PM
Adam H
Pro

Originally Posted by peterjcb
Apparently the guy that made that site was turned down for a job at Valentine.
Old 12-13-2004, 02:31 AM
whyb2nd
Burning Brakes

......V1, I use it in all my cars, I have used many over the years, V1= sensitive and smart driver info avoids tickets. I won't repeat what others have replied on already, but lets agree, use your head where you travel at high speeds. Watch on ramps if hwy driving, no radar detector will help you if your alone on the road with instant on/laser or you fly up on a cruiser @ 145mph who came out of know where.........JMHO....
Old 12-15-2004, 07:35 PM
FlyingDog
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To the Aussies afraid of VG-2 (radar detector detection), just get a newer radar detector. They're illegal in Virginia, but I've never been caught and neither have my friends. I've asked cops that I've worked with about VG-2. Their training says that VG-2 only works on malfunctioning RDs and ones built before the mid-late 90's.
Old 12-16-2004, 10:00 AM
jaxxon
Intermediate

What about the K40? I'm buying a porsche with a K40 installed, where does that fit in? Anyone have any experience with it?

Quick Reply: Radar Detectors