Notices

Rennlist founders

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2004 | 06:55 PM
adrian_jaye
Drifting

Default Rennlist founders

HI guy's

I dont have access to OT so pls dont move this there !

A quick question and sorry its been posted here if in wrong place.

Can anyone tell me who the RENNLIST founder/s is or are ?

cheers

Ade
Old 10-19-2004 | 07:15 PM
sweanders
Race Director

It's John D. here on the list..

Btw, why not a member yet?
Old 10-19-2004 | 07:49 PM
John D.
Banned

Originally Posted by adrian_jaye
....Can anyone tell me who the RENNLIST founder/s is or are ?...
Sure.....

Rennlist was started in May 1998 - and began as "PorscheList". The name is derived from "Renn", which is German for "the race", and "list", which is our heritage, starting with email lists covering just about anything about Porsche's.

Within two weeks of Porschelist's (now Rennlist) inception, there were roughly 4,000 subscribers to its' 12 email lists. In over six years, the site has grown to support more than 85,000 e-discussion subscribers to the e-mail discussion lists - and the Rennlist Forum (which is different, and where you are reading this) takes over 250,000 unique IP addresses (unique visitors) per day from throughout the world. Rennlist - in total - posts over 6,000 original messages - and forwards over 14,000,000 copies of those Porsche/Audi messages on an average day.

What began in 1998 on a 56Kbs Frame Relay Internet connection - now requires 4 dedicated high-speed circuits - from 4.6Mbps to 1.5Mbps including both T1s and MUXed SDSL circuits. As well - Rennlist is also comprised of 15 dedicated servers, which house over 1000 Top Level and Second Level Domains and an array of Network hardware, firewalls and software.

The "entire" Rennlist Staff ("Founders" as you are asking) are Jen and myself - who run, host, manage, program, troubleshoot all the servers, software and provide all TECH support. In short - I do all the technical programming/support/website programming/design and daily ADMIN stuff, and Jen does the Memberships and Sponsors when she comes home in the evening. As you guessed - we both have full time jobs outside Rennlist, as the Member/Sponsor programs maybe cover the technical overhead associated with running this site on a monthly basis - if Sponsors pay and Members join - if not, the difference is made up by Jen's and my real paychecks. In short - our "real jobs" have a salary and cover the cost of our "real lives".

So - "Founders"? There were a "dozen" back in April/May of 1998, and all except for one or two - have moved on to other cars and with their "real lives".

For that, over six years later - sorry - you are only still stuck with Jen and myself - and the Moderators who "donate" their time as well, trying to keep this site what it has become to so many worldwide.

John D.
Old 10-19-2004 | 07:55 PM
seanbrowning
Advanced

Wow, impressive technology, very large stats! Long live the list!
Old 10-19-2004 | 09:53 PM
CN
Escapee
Rennlist Member

Hey John, GET A LIFE!!!...

Just kidding John, we love ya!!
Old 10-19-2004 | 10:01 PM
John D.
Banned

Originally Posted by CN
Hey John, GET A LIFE!!!...

Just kidding John, we love ya!!
Hey - I have a life - which is why I'm replying to this at 9PM at night.. Oh - waitaminute - maybe I don't??!!..

Well - you know what I mean..??!!!

Thanks, CN!!!!!

John
Old 10-19-2004 | 10:03 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John D.
For that, over six years later - sorry - you are only still stuck with Jen and myself - and the Moderators

John D.

damn you cold hearted bastards! just kidding..

you guys do a fantanstic job, this is one of, if not THE best automotive-ish site i've ever seen.

rock on!
Old 10-19-2004 | 10:07 PM
CN
Escapee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John D.
Hey - I have a life - which is why I'm replying to this at 9PM at night.. Oh - waitaminute - maybe I don't??!!..

Well - you know what I mean..??!!!

Thanks, CN!!!!!

John
And to think of all the P-cars you could by if you just had a bunch of popup ads and maybe hooked up with one of those "data mining, browser hijack redirector, spyware" distribution rings!!
Old 10-19-2004 | 10:18 PM
John D.
Banned

First - thanks DeAd-EyE..! We just sort of "do what we do", and try our best... While I'd like to brag that I return all the e-mails I get - frankly, I can't, as I get several thousand a day. But - for that, I'm grateful to all the folks that come here, post - and call it their "community"... Everyone should be proud of what this site has become over the years, and for that, Jen and I are amazed and humbled at the same time, and in equal proportion, if you know what I mean??

Originally Posted by CN
And to think of all the P-cars you could by if you just had a bunch of popup ads and maybe hooked up with one of those "data mining, browser hijack redirector, spyware" distribution rings!!
Yea - BUT - I have to use the site as well - and I HATE POP-UP ADS!!! Also - I'd never sell usernames/e-mail addresses, as I have an ethical problem with that, too... So - we'll just keep doing what we do - and buy our new Porsche's in 1/48th scale - which fits our budget..!!!

John
Old 10-20-2004 | 12:28 AM
Moogle
Race Car

this one of the most mature communities on the net, which is a very rare thing indeed.
Old 10-20-2004 | 01:00 AM
JBH
Addict
Rennlist Member

I belong to and have belonged to many forums, but there is none like this. Anyone who has been here through the early years can attest to its growth and change.

It is truly a community composed of people of quite diverse backgrounds and ideologies. We have friendships, disputes, advice, social customs, and neighborhoods in which we interact. It is has become a living breathing part of the web that if it ever went away would leave a huge void.

Thanks John and Jen - you provide a tremendous service and contribution
Old 10-20-2004 | 06:38 AM
adrian_jaye
Drifting

hey John,
thanks for the info, you do a great job,

I've sent you an e-mail, could you pls get back to me as soon as.

either

Adrian@playback.demon.co.uk
Old 10-20-2004 | 08:12 AM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Moogle
this one of the most mature communities on the net, which is a very rare thing indeed.

you havent been to the OT section have you?

thanks John for all your hard work. you are truely a godsend to the porsche community, and it was a privlidge to finally meet you this past summer.

gonna come back to Ohio for 944 fest next year?
Old 10-20-2004 | 08:21 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator

Has there ever been a Rennlist Party or GTG? I mean a big one - every forum - email subscriber invited?

John - Have you been able to dig up a high resolution logo?
Old 10-20-2004 | 09:53 AM
jerome951
Drifting

If reading John's (Rennlist's) needed infrastructure (servers, connections, software, etc.) doesn't make you want to join (i.e. buy a membership) and help defray the costs, then you're just a greedy free-loader.... but that's just my opinion.

BTW, I've had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Dunkle and the lovely Jen in person. 2 of the nicest people you'd ever want to meet (except that John's a little geeky :-) ). Here he is in the infield of the 24 Hours of Daytona and he's sitting by an RV uploading pictures and video of the race onto the site. Geesh, what a nerd!!!

Quick Reply: Rennlist founders