Notices

Man I gotta ask

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2004, 01:47 AM
Jeff McVicar
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Man I gotta ask

what does "STUTTGART" mean in the porsche crest? I have a feeling I'll feel dumb
Old 07-16-2004, 01:52 AM
Ron_H
928 Barrister
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You need to find that girl named Nicole. I'm sure she could explain the significance of the word. She comes around here once in awhile.
Old 07-16-2004, 01:54 AM
Thom1
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Hi Jeff,

They make or made many Porsche cars in Stuttgart. I have had 928 parts backordered from Stuttgart. Maybe the original source factory location for all Porsches?
Old 07-16-2004, 01:58 AM
Jeff McVicar
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

AHHHHH a place is good enough of an answer for me .. Thank you. I was thinking "honor, royalty, semper fidelis, strrength,,, No I know Thanks again
Old 07-16-2004, 02:11 AM
autochicago
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Stuttgart, ahhh ... where I spent my B-day two years ago and also zwei Oktoberfests ago. Been there many times.

Funny thing is, Porsche is really mostly in Zuffenhausen, a northern suburb of Stuttgart. BTW Porschephiles, unless they've upgraded the museum, waste of time. Spend your time at the M-B museum. WELL worth it. As is the M-B factory tour in Sindelfingen. And a trip to the Ring.
Old 07-16-2004, 02:31 AM
Nicole
Cottage Industry Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 150 Likes on 81 Posts

Stuttgart is THE birth place - the place where most Porsches ever built, the place where Mr. Daimler invented the motorcycle, and the place where I started to terrorize this world...

The part of the Porsche crest which shows the name "Stuttgart" and the black horse on the yellow background - that's the old city crest of Stuttgart. The black horse indicates that the city started as a stud garden (Stutengarten), which gave the city its name.

I am not sure, if the city still uses the old crest - if you visit the official websites (www.stuttgart.de and www.stuttgart-tourist.de/english/index.html), you will see a modern logo that plays with the double "T" to indicate that there are various historic palaces in and around the city.

The new logo idicates that despite its long history, Stuttgart is a very modern, industrial town. People there don't live in palaces or imitations of such - newly build homes are very modern, functional and creative. Modern architecture and design are highly appreciated and have resulted in lots of innovative high-tech products. There is also a historic quarter of original Bauhaus architectural residences.

In other words: Stuttgart is a town that has constantly reinvented itself throughout history, rather than imitating it. While old substance is preserved, new developments usualy try to push the envelope a little further. This forward thinking culture is what brings you high end products like Mercedes Benz and Porsche automobiles, and many other, lesser known products.

For example, BOSCH - maker of ignition and injection parts as well as home appliances and power tools - is headquartered there. Mahle makes pistons in Stuttgart, and Eberspaecher makes car heaters while Hirschmann used to make the antennas and other electrical stuff for cars in nearby Esslingen.

Other famous companies in the region are Stihl (chain saws), and Kaercher (pressure washers and other commercial cleaning machines), Dick Knives (no, "dick" in German means "fat", not what you think! Here it's just a name...), Hengstenberg (sauerkraut), Dinkel Acker (beer). IBM and Hewlett Packard have their German offices outside of Stuttgart.

You can see that with all this high tech, the old fashioned city crest had to get a modern sister. But it does live on in the Porsche family crest and forms the logo that gets so many of us excited.

Last edited by Nicole; 07-16-2004 at 02:47 AM.
Old 07-16-2004, 02:35 AM
Flint
Three Wheelin'

Capital of Baden-Wurttemburg, isn't it? Where the dukes lived?
Old 07-16-2004, 02:38 AM
Nicole
Cottage Industry Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Just found this:

http://www.stuttgart.de/sde/item/gen/13827.htm

In its current form, the black horse on golden crest has been used since April 11, 1938. It is reserved for official government related) use only, while the modern logo - even though registered - can used more freely by everyone to promote the city (e.g. tourism).
Old 07-16-2004, 02:45 AM
Ron_H
928 Barrister
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I hear that the Ferrari horse is also the same horse as the Stuttgart horse.
True??
Old 07-16-2004, 02:48 AM
Parnelli Joneser
Addict
Rennlist Member

Stuttgart is also home of the Volksfest. It's like Oktoberfest without all the Italians. That's not a judgement, either. But "Ole, ole ole ole!" gets old after a few hours...
Old 07-16-2004, 02:48 AM
Nicole
Cottage Industry Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

I have no information on this... Maybe Enzo was an apprentice at ol' Ferdinand's design company?

I have never heard of a link between Ferrari and Stuttgart, but would be happy to hear, if my home town can take some creidt for these supercars as well...

Last edited by Nicole; 07-16-2004 at 04:13 AM.
Old 07-16-2004, 02:56 AM
Nicole
Cottage Industry Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by Parnelli Joneser
And home of the Volksfest. It's like Oktoberfest without all the Italians. That's not a judgement, either. But "Ole, ole ole ole!" gets old after a few hours...
Well, we are not quite as uninhibited as the Bavarians... Our women aren't as big either (LOL), Lederhosen adn Dirndl are not our traditional style of clothing, and we don't have to "import" our Mercedes and Porsche cars...

Those who would like to see a little more of the town where your car was engineered and built, I encourage you to go to the city's image archive and browse through the pictures:

http://212.221.184.242/stadtmarketing/extern-e/
Old 07-16-2004, 02:59 AM
Thom1
Burning Brakes

Nicole,

We shiver with antici...

pation!

Are you a Stuttgart baby/born there?
Old 07-16-2004, 03:12 AM
Nicole
Cottage Industry Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

I was born in the part of Stuttgart where Mr. Daimler used to reside. When I got my first vaccination, they mixed it up with a gasoline injection. I've been speculating that Mr. Daimler might have ordered this for every baby born in his part of town, but was not able to verify...

Grew up in the suburbs, went to school and college there, worked there, then came to California 11 years ago. Getting old here now.

Old 07-16-2004, 03:15 AM
autochicago
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah, sorry when i said oktoberfest i meant volksfest because have been to both and both in (relatively) close proximity to one another. 'cept that I have to give credit where credit is due to the fine bavarian marques. picture ring a bell? not too far from mercedes strasse during volksfest.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Man I gotta ask