In car power for accessories

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2004, 11:12 AM
StevoUK
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default In car power for accessories

Here is my rant! AAARRRGGGHH!

I have a radar/gps/laser detector - fits in the cig lighter socket - except it loses contact if slightly moved and switches off the detector.

I also have a pda with satnav - the cig connector supplied is huge and the weight of it disconnects the power.

I have a mobile phone in car charger - the connector is very sensitive to position - again cuts off power if it moves slightly.

WHEN are car and accessory manufacturers going to provide a simple universal accesory power provision with multiple connection points?

The only easy way to provide multiple power seems to be to buy a doubler socket - not exactly elegant is it?

Has anybody solved this in a different way?
Old 07-06-2004, 11:54 AM
Steve Jensen
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Wire your own. Sockets are a few bucks apiece, there may be blanks on your dash for 'em already (mom's 84 911 has 'em, my '65 356 does not) or depending on how it connects to the device you could just run a line with the proper connection at the end to plug into your toys.
Old 07-06-2004, 01:10 PM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wired my camera detector into ignition power, and the power to my satnav PDA cradle the same way. For the PDA - I wanted to be able to move it between cars, so I wired into the ingition but added a plug. The cradle is then plugged into this (but the connection is out of sight under the dash) - and the cig lighter thing also has a plug on the end of it now. So if I remove the cradle from my car I can unplug it, plug it into the cig. lighter power lead and plug that in the other car.

For the mobile phone - I don't bother giving it power in the car.
Old 07-08-2004, 07:16 PM
StevoUK
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I found a 1 to 4 way cig socket expander in halfords for 8 quid! You plug its plug into the cig socket and at the other end of a 3 ft lead is a block with 4 cig sockets which can be mounted with screws sticky tabs or velcrow!
Ace.

Quick Reply: In car power for accessories