Notices

options for RWD, manual transmission 911

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2024, 06:10 PM
Butzi
Rennlist Member

Received 137 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by jbd3
I just learned you can put your search preferences into the Porshe website, and they'll tell you when one meeting that criteria pops up at a dealer. The CPO thing is certainly compelling.

It does seem like prices have been softening a bit? I'm also a watch guy and a guitar guy, and the used markets for both are cooling down--watches especially.

Are you in SF? Is there a dealer there you like? I'm up in Seattle, but have been looking down there as well. Flying down and driving back up the coast would be the low-buck version of buying the new car in Europe, going touring in the alps, and having it shipped back!
I'm hoping for Euro Delivery on next purchase, so the Alps etc are on my horizon.

I'm a guitar guy as well...That market has cooled, as well as amps & pedals. People got crazy buying during the pandemic and now wonder what they're doing with all that gear in their guest room. If you've ever watched "That Pedal Show" you know the addiction is real. I only justified it by playing in some "dad" bands.

Yes, I'm just north of SF now. I'm working with Porsche Marin who are part of the Indigo Group. They own the SF dealer as well. There are many dealerships in CA, so just keep your eyes open. I don't ever trust sales people but get the feeling that they don't want to tarnish their brand either. Hence my bias towards CPO. I think it is worth the added premium.

The Porsche inventory search seems like a very powerful tool, especially with the email notifications, but you should get to know someone at the local dealership anyway.
The following users liked this post:
jbd3 (08-04-2024)
Old 08-04-2024, 06:28 PM
jbd3
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis C
I’m about 30 minutes north of Colorado Springs. I bought my 997.1 Turbo Cabriolet at the Porsche dealership in Colorado Springs. Overall, my experience there was good.

A Porsche dealer or an independent Porsche mechanic can check for overrevs. It’s a good idea to take a look at that in a car with a manual transmission. It’s far less likely to occur in a PDK car because of the safeguards that are in place. You can’t accidentally perform the “money shift” overrev on a PDK car because the system won’t allow it.

I have lots of time behind the wheel in 997.1 and in 997.2 cars. They’re both wonderful. If you’re looking for a PDK gearbox, then that eliminates the 997.1. I believe that it was first introduced in 2009 with the 997.2.

That said, the improvements made with the 991 generation are significant. The 991 isn’t quite as “raw” feeling as the 997, but it’s still great. The 991 chassis and ride are a huge improvement over the 997.

For perspective, when I sold my 996 and bought a 997, the 997 felt like a Mercedes S-Class to me because of the refinements over the 996! It’s all relative.

You can’t go wrong with any of the cars you’re considering. It really comes down to deciding what you want in a 911 and then prioritizing your list.

Enjoy the hunt!
That's great to know about that dealer -- I think it's these guys?

https://finder.porsche.com/us/en-US/...&order=closest

It's a CPO car, which is definitely comforting. But definitely in the less raw end of the 911 spectrum, especially compared to what I've hear about the 997! But if you've had a good experience with these guys, this is one to consider.
Old 08-04-2024, 06:39 PM
Butzi
Rennlist Member

Received 137 Likes on 72 Posts

That's great to know about that dealer -- I think it's these guys?

https://finder.porsche.com/us/en-US/...&order=closest

It's a CPO car, which is definitely comforting. But definitely in the less raw end of the 911 spectrum, especially compared to what I've hear about the 997! But if you've had a good experience with these guys, this is one to consider.
That's hot. Make an offer
jbd3 (08-04-2024)
Old 08-04-2024, 10:45 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,518 Likes on 952 Posts

That car looks great! Yes, it’s the same dealership.
jbd3 (08-04-2024)
Old 08-05-2024, 03:33 PM
jbd3
Rennlist Member

Thanks to all who have chimed in. I made a spreadsheet of all the likely candidates. I have never made a spreadsheet in my life.

I had another question for the panel: if you buy a Porsche with the CPO warranty, I presume you can use that warranty (if necessary) at any Porsche dealer, not just the dealer you bought the car from? It would be weird if this was not the case, but then, the world is a weird place.
Old 08-05-2024, 05:41 PM
Nandska
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

That's awesome!.

Yes. CPO can be used at any Porsche dealerships. If you don't find a CPO one, you can also purchase a 3rd party warranty. Fidelity seems to be the go to. There is a mega thread in the 991 subforum that talks about Fidelity.
The following 2 users liked this post by Nandska:
Highline-Autos.com (08-06-2024), jbd3 (08-05-2024)
Old 08-05-2024, 06:58 PM
jbd3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nandska
That's awesome!.

Yes. CPO can be used at any Porsche dealerships. If you don't find a CPO one, you can also purchase a 3rd party warranty. Fidelity seems to be the go to. There is a mega thread in the 991 subforum that talks about Fidelity.
Thanks very much! It would be kind of crazy if the CPO wasn't portable, but ours is a topsy-turvy world. Thankfully the world of Teutonic Performance Autos still makes sense!

And, I'll look up the Fidelity thread, thanks for letting me know about that. Right now the CPO is making a used car from a Porsche dealer pretty compelling, but it's good to have more options. (I think. Maybe it's not?)

If I can pop for a 992, depending on the year, it would be awesome to get the remaining factory warranty plus the CPO. I am hoping to drive a 992 this week to see if it's too high tech for me!
The following 2 users liked this post by jbd3:
Butzi (08-06-2024), Nandska (08-06-2024)
Old 08-06-2024, 10:00 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,518 Likes on 952 Posts

I’ll throw in a little bit more information to consider for your search.

I just had my 991.1 serviced at my local Porsche dealer. It had the 10 year/40,000 mile major service done. In ten years, the only “repair” that was ever needed for this vehicle was an adjustment to the parking brake. The 991 has been the most reliable vehicle that I’ve ever owned. I mentioned this fact to my service advisor and his comment was that the 991 series are the most reliable 911s that they service, more so than the 992. I asked him for his thoughts on this, and his answer was simple: more technology means more things break. I’m certainly not implying that a 992 will be unreliable or need many repairs. I think the 992 is fantastic. I’m simply relaying my experience and my Porsche service advisor’s comments. My 991 has proven to be more reliable than my 997 and my 996.

I’ll also add that my car remains reliable after some minor modifications, specifically a tune and an exhaust. The tune hasn’t impacted the reliability of the car at all.

Enjoy the spreadsheet and the hunt!
jbd3 (08-07-2024)
Old 08-08-2024, 09:51 AM
alaris
Racer

Received 172 Likes on 83 Posts

I totally hear you. Would love to find a place where I could drive a few different generations back-to-back; one test drive is worth a hundred hours on the internet....
Rent on Turo

Quick Reply: options for RWD, manual transmission 911