Notices

Am I crazy? 718 GT4 to 992.1 4 GTS

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2024, 05:26 PM
RyuBraska
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Am I crazy? 718 GT4 to 992.1 4 GTS

38M. I got lucky enough to get an allocation for a 718 GT4 back in 2020. I was supposed to do ED but it got cancelled because of COVID. It's a manual GT4 without bucket and without ceramic.

I've driven about 10,000kms during the 2 first summer of ownership (we have Winters here so it's only usable during the summer months), including a 2-3 times at the track. It's a fun car to drive, probably one of the last NA and manual car we can get, etc. My only issue is that I've never been a big fan of the look. It looks great from the sides but I don't like the front and the back that much. I much prefer the 911, but it was out of my reach at the time. I don't dislike the color I got (Gentian Blue), but I regret not going for white for some reason.

The problem is that in the last 2 summers I've driven about 500 kms per summer for 2 reasons: 1) I have a baby daughter and I have to drop her at daycare so the GT4 is not an option during the week, or even during the weekend if we do family outings, etc. 2) it's a pain to drive in the trafic we have here during the week. The bottom line is that I have a great car that I can never drive. I don't have the garage and budget to have more than 2 cars (my daily driver is a Tesla).

I got added to the list for a 992 GTS with PDK when my daughter was born 2 years ago. I got an allocation last year but it was not the right time for me so I decided to pass and wait for the 992.2. Fast forward to today, I'm not too sure about the 992.2 GTS with it being an hybrid and also seeing a big increase in price. However, my dealer has a cancellation for one of the last 992.1 GTS they ordered. It's a 4 GTS instead of a 2 GTS and has some options I would not have chosen, but for the most part it's a nice spec and the color I was looking for (PRXDJGZ9).

I can trade in my GT4 for essentially the price I paid which is great. With the increasing prices of the last few years and the luxury tax in Canada, I still have to pay an additional 130K CDN (tx in) to make the switch (double the value of my GT4).

The question: am I crazy?

On the one hand, the GT4 is a great car, NA and manual and has maintained its value relatively well so far. On the other hand, I feel like there is no point in having a car I cannot drive and enjoy.

I prefer the look of the 911 and having a back seat + PDK should result in me driving it more, but it's not NA and not as engaging as the GT4. I haven't looked but given that it's less exclusive than the GT4 (which is not that exclusive), I assume it won't retain its value as much. Any thoughts on this aspect?

I have the money, but I'm also trying to be somewhat financially responsible... difficult decision.

The options are : A) keep the GT4 for no cost (it's all paid), but not drive it much for the next few years, B) make the switch now, C) keep looking for a less expensive new or barely used GTS or S.