Notices

Best model for natural aspirated performance?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2004, 02:17 AM
Y2A
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best model for natural aspirated performance?

I really would like to get a used 911 turbo, but even used ones are too expensive for me Since I like the 1987 and up 911 body styles (993,996,etc.) more than any other models, which year(s) 911 has the most naturally aspirated performance potential? Meaning which year(s) model(s) have the most performance aftermarket support for it and arent too overpriced in the used car market?

I recently picked up a copy of the Porsche mag "Excellence" featuring a market update of the 87-89 911 Carrera 3.2s, and I thought it would be a good candidate, but I went searching online and couldnt find much aftermarket parts for it .
Old 06-20-2004, 03:43 AM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

The G50 equipped 3.2L 911 Carrera's are nice cars and reliable. You can punch out the engine to 3.6 L and get excellent performance. It's not cheap, however. Don't expect to slap on a cheap set of intakes or mufflers and get significant performance gains on any of the normally aspirated models. The 911SC is a nice car but the 915 is a sloppy transmission that needs a WEVO shifter upgrade. You need to test drive them and come up with your own opinion. Don't be stuck on looking for aftermarket modifications before you find a car. Find a nice car first. The most cost efficient strategy is to decide on which model and modifications you want and look for a car that fits your needs. Then make sure you have a reputable Porsche shop inspect the car before writing any checks.
Old 06-24-2004, 08:22 AM
993Maineiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 113 Posts

Of course "overpriced" is a relative term dependant on your finances. If you are mechanicly inclined and willing to get dirty-and in my case learn a heck of a lot- then the care and feeding of a Porsche become much more reasonable. When I was looking-this past fall-I found that I could get a 95 993 for the same price range as a 964. It is, however, a work in progress. The 95 is the most easily chipped of the 993 range, transmission and engine are robust and they have a good history so most all of the issues are known. A lot depends on what you will be using the car for-daily driver, track, combination, etc. Try to narrow your search-coupe, cab, targa are easy to determine, do you want a car already lowered or do you want what is referred to as the SUV height, C2 or C4 if a 964 or 993, color, etc. These cars go fast as they come from the factory so none is a loser.

Take your time, have fun, and test drive every model you can get your hands on. GOOD LUCK

Al

Quick Reply: Best model for natural aspirated performance?