Notices

Potentially buying a new Macan GTS

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2024, 10:49 AM
First911soon
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Potentially buying a new Macan GTS

So as the title states im thinking about buying a '24 Macan GTS, as my first Porsche. its 99,000. 3000 miles on it. It's a terrific car and although ill have the money for it I've only ever spent a quarter of that on a car before. I wanted opinions as to whether or not I "should" buy a brand new one or maybe 3 years old for $64000. If there is really that big of a difference besides 800 dollars a month.

The car itself is phenomenal, I didnt have any complaints. Fast shifting transmission alot of power, I hit the gas and I'm always at 60. Roomy too for my new job.

my question is as I stated above but I found an interesting '2017 model here: 2017 Porsche Macan Turbo for sale in Somerset, NJ - CARFAX (I actually took a video of the engine running too)

I test drove this very car. Everything worked, the engine sounded fine (although they had it partially warmed up already and I'd like to hear it cold), when I dorve it it was tight and responsive, but I have a few questions on the car in general.

1. Does the transmission shift fast when youre on the gas and more relaxed when youre not? this is 2017 so Iidk if it has the PDK, theres no nomenclature on the new ones either,
2. It was a great service history, but the second owner had it for a few months and sold it, what could have happened here? (my theory is that they bought it, thrashed it, curbed it hard and then sold it).
3. I say they curbed it because it sort of glides right, when drivng. it doesnt track totally straight. In my imagination I thought they didnt repair right.. and the result is what I saw.
4. It's been on the lot for months they cant get rid of it. I'm telling, I have not seen or detected anything wrong with this car but the tracking right. BUT I also dont know how a new one feels so to speak.
5. Maybe it actually is a great deal or maybe it isnt. But its been on the lot and his only response was "oh well you know somtimes its peoples credit history etc etc." I tried driving newer ones but they wouldnt.
6. The inside of the front tires were worn more but there wasnt other odd wear on the tires. I'd assume that for a heavy car like this that would be expected to a certain degree right"
7. the last point is nit picky but the tire pressures were the same all around the car. I saw one tire was lower than the others. But I mean thats all I can nit pick about. PASM worked fine, engine didnt sound bad, turned great for what it is. It just feels off to me. the service history said the drivetrain module was checked multiple times.

So maybe this older one isnt a great idea I just dont have a great feeling towards it. It didnt skip a beat, but something sits off about it. The brand new felt great to me, it felt like the car to buy, its just so much more I'm nervous.

So any ideas here?

Last edited by First911soon; 01-14-2024 at 10:53 AM.
Old 01-14-2024, 11:11 AM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,027 Posts

You are comparing apples and oranges. A 7 year old car that costs 25% of a new car is a meaningless comparison vs a new car.

Stay away from the 3.6L engine, it has a host of problems, well documented on this site.

The 2024 2.9TT V6 in the 2024 Macan GTS is a great engine so far. It has been in production since 2016 or 2017 in Audi models and since 2017 or 2018 in Porsche models. Early production issues have been solved, and today there are no systemic problems with this engine that are reported on Audi or Porsche sites.

You said you have the money. If by "have the money" you mean you are able to meet all of your other financial obligations, and after purchase of the car this continues to be the case, go for it. In short: live below your means. If living below your means results in having money to buy a 2024 Macan, enjoy!

Last edited by chassis; 01-14-2024 at 11:12 AM.
Old 01-14-2024, 11:23 AM
First911soon
Intermediate

Originally Posted by chassis
You are comparing apples and oranges. A 7 year old car that costs 25% of a new car is a meaningless comparison vs a new car.

Stay away from the 3.6L engine, it has a host of problems, well documented on this site.

The 2024 2.9TT V6 in the 2024 Macan GTS is a great engine so far. It has been in production since 2016 or 2017 in Audi models and since 2017 or 2018 in Porsche models. Early production issues have been solved, and today there are no systemic problems with this engine that are reported on Audi or Porsche sites.

You said you have the money. If by "have the money" you mean you are able to meet all of your other financial obligations, and after purchase of the car this continues to be the case, go for it. In short: live below your means. If living below your means results in having money to buy a 2024 Macan, enjoy!
Ok, ill look at that engine, but the new one felt "right" I dont know how else to describe it. but I also saw a 2020 for 64 as I said. Maybe its just more intelligent to buy older instead. Both a are certified pre owned, and yeh I can meet financial obligations.
The following users liked this post:
chassis (01-14-2024)
Old 01-14-2024, 03:40 PM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by First911soon
Ok, ill look at that engine, but the new one felt "right" I dont know how else to describe it. but I also saw a 2020 for 64 as I said. Maybe its just more intelligent to buy older instead. Both a are certified pre owned, and yeh I can meet financial obligations.
The new one that "felt 'right'" has the 2.9TT V6, the good engine.

The original post mentions a 2017, with the troubled 3.6L engine. There was nothing stated about a 2020.
Old 01-17-2024, 08:51 PM
First911soon
Intermediate

The new one that "felt 'right'" has the 2.9TT V6, the good engine.

The original post mentions a 2017, with the troubled 3.6L engine. There was nothing stated about a 2020.
the 2020 turned out to be a gts from,, 2020. so its not the top model.

Im leaning towards the 17 only because its less and I'm not sure Id want to handle the 1900 a month payment. I'm trying for the new one, but if the insurance is out of range than I cant do anything.

On another note, the 17 "dealership" wont allow them to take the car off lot. They said I could take someone there however.
But what would cause the car to veer right? My worst thought is its been curbed hard and wrongly repaired and note reported, but apart from that the car works fine. I drove it hard.
The following users liked this post:
chassis (01-17-2024)
Old 01-17-2024, 11:20 PM
chassis
Rennlist Member

the 2020 turned out to be a gts from,, 2020. so its not the top model.

Im leaning towards the 17 only because its less and I'm not sure Id want to handle the 1900 a month payment. I'm trying for the new one, but if the insurance is out of range than I cant do anything.

On another note, the 17 "dealership" wont allow them to take the car off lot. They said I could take someone there however.
But what would cause the car to veer right? My worst thought is its been curbed hard and wrongly repaired and note reported, but apart from that the car works fine. I drove it hard.
Don't touch a car that doesn't steer properly, or "veers right". Time to walk.
Old 01-18-2024, 12:13 AM
First911soon
Intermediate

Don't touch a car that doesn't steer properly, or "veers right". Time to walk.
if its just slightly so too?? I suppose it's the 1 owner 16 turbo found then.
Old 01-18-2024, 07:54 AM
chassis
Rennlist Member

if its just slightly so too??
Don’t touch it.

Quick Reply: Potentially buying a new Macan GTS