Notices

New clutch cable and adjusting-Omega spring clutch

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2024, 08:59 AM
moonlighter
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New clutch cable and adjusting-Omega spring clutch

A little advice needed on adjusting an omega spring assisted clutch on an 84 Carrera with a 915.

I have a service manual and have followed the instructions as well as review some earlier searches on the procedure. I have installed a new cable, the bushings are good on the pedal cluster. I have adjusted the threaded Trunion pin/clevis at the front, threaded end of the cable, to 20mm (spec'd 17mm-22mm in Bentley's). At the transmission, I have installed the clutch actuating arm (w/spring) and put the circlip on securely, used a feeler gauge to measure gap at 1.2mm as both Wayne's book and Bentley's indicated. I am not able to get to the 1mm gap without fully adjusting the new cable. The pedal is not at the top of travel and is only about halfway and doesn't actuate the clutch.

I have also fully adjusted the trunion/clevis pin at the front, while better still not where it needs to be to actuate the clutch. Any suggestions or links? I will try to post pictures later.

Thank you.
Old 01-15-2024, 07:51 AM
moonlighter
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Figured out the problem. While the bushings were good the clutch pedal shaft was not. I noticed the clutch pedal appeared to have a slight bend to it. I took the pedal cluster out and took it apart to investigate. I figured while I had it out I would put in bronze bushings in and. inspect the springs.

I found this.

The hole where the roll pin goes through was twisted, stretched and even torn. It was off about 45* (rotated) effectively making the clutch cable too long, about 2". This explains why even with the trunion/ clevis pin fully adjusted to shorten the cable and the cable end fully threaded at the transmission, the cable was still too long.

I ordered a new clutch pedal shaft, but wanted to see if I could repair and make what I had worked

I had a a partially threaded 14mm bolt and used the unthreaded part to repair the shaft. The shafts are cheap, but this was more about doing the fix. I cut off the bolt with my band saw, beveled it, cut off the damaged part of the shaft measuring length prior to get an approximate length for both the hole and the shaft length. I then beveled the shaft end to be welded and welded the two together, then ground them flat. I didn't have v blocks, but used some 1/4" angle iron to act as v blocks and welding jig. I then put it in my drill press to drill the correct size hole. I reinstalled the shaft into the pedal cluster with the new bushings. I adjusted the clutch per Bentley's manual and it works fine and feels correct. I am sure this could have been done better and yes it is not plated. It is well greased installed and should get me down the road for a while.

I post this for someone else that has a similar problem that cannot get the pedal to position correctly even when adjusting the clutch correctly.

Quick Reply: New clutch cable and adjusting-Omega spring clutch