911 S or Panamera S?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2024, 06:49 PM
blue1998
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 911 S or Panamera S?

What would you do?

I've enjoyed my simple 1998 5-speed Boxster base as an occasional car for about 10 years now. Picked it up from a buddy for $7500 and I've put a few grand into it. I'm 52, married, two young boys aged 8 and 5. I put about 50K miles on the Boxster in the first few years and it barely gets driven now and, as much as I enjoy the 5-speed, it's just not practical as a daily driver in rush-hour traffic. I daily drive a modified Land Rover LR4 that I also do a lot of off road driving and camping in and use as my work truck when needed. I've worked from home for the last 16 years but I do a lot of miles for my company. Both the truck and Boxster are owned by my company so at least I get the write-offs.

I've always wanted a 911 and I've set my sights on a 2013+ 911S PDK Cabriolet. I've found a great one local to me, it's a 2014 911S PDK Cab, 80K miles (a bit high), Sport Chrono, Premium Package Plus, Power Steering Plus, Sport Design steering wheel, Silver ext and black interior. Original MSRP $128,600. Pretty much every option I've been after. Large, well-known used car dealer asking $58,300 and I'll offer $55K plus 8.05% tax = $59,428. Ideally I can get it for $50K or $52K but that may be a pipe dream.

I've also been shopping Panameras because of the 4-door family aspect and I just came upon a 2018 Panamera which is the year I've been after and it has all the options I want. Black on black, Premium Package Plus, Sport Exhaust, original MSRP of $119,440. 65K miles. Private Party sale asking $52,000 so no tax, which is extremely attractive.

The Boxster isn't really worth selling as it would only net around $7K or so. It needs new driver's seat leather and a new radio and has lots of front end paint chips, parking lot dings, etc. I did do the LN Engineering IMS bearing and it has a new top with glass rear window and it runs like a top. 175K miles. I'll either sell it for whatever or try to store it somewhere for my 8 year old son. The money isn't so much an issue, I'll probably pay cash for either the 911 or the Panamera. Wife has a Mercedes SUV on lease for about $600 per month that I'd like to eliminate and have her drive the Land Rover or a Porsche. Will likely get rid of the Land Rover too this year, been eyeing the new Lexus GX550 or the new Toyota Land Cruiser.

So the Panamera really makes good sense from a family aspect - especially wife driving, kids to & from school, soccer, baseball, etc. But the 911 would "work" for that as well, just not as practical as the Panamera. Or the wife mainly drives the truck and I enjoy my 911S as a daily driver and stuff the boys in the back when needed.

I can't decide which way to go!!!

Old 01-12-2024, 07:20 PM
rwbern
Rennlist Member

Received 930 Likes on 416 Posts

I've always wanted a 911”.
In your 50’s, now is the time ! I have a couple of decades on you & so sorry I waited so long to get back in the game after a hiatus. Ya cant always be completely practical when it comes to Porsche. The kids, and their friends, will think it’s pretty cool :-)

Yes, the Panamera probably makes more sense for you, but not nearly the fun for the whole family. Have a feeling the roommate is really going to enjoy it, so you may be opening Pandora’s box!
Old 01-12-2024, 08:09 PM
blue1998
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You know, after I posted the message above, I thought that even if I picked up this great Panamera, I'd still be shopping 911s. If I pick up a 911, I wouldn't be shopping Panameras. If it turns out to be impractical then I can always sell it after a year or so. I'm not worried about taking a hit of a few thousand.

Quick Reply: 911 S or Panamera S?