Notices

Fraud Alert

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2004, 07:44 PM
David J Marguglio
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fraud Alert

I dont have a lot of experience with this site, so I am not sure where to go with this. I am really ticked over an experience that occured with one of the members or lurkers (not sure which) that I would like to enlighten others about.

Several weeks ago, I posted a part request in the Parts Wanted section. A few days later, I received an email from a Geoff Wattiker of Chapel Hill, NC stating that he had the part laying around his garage and would be happy if I took it off his hands.

He shipped me the part and I mailed him a check. Few weeks pass and I never receive the part. I send several emails and finally he responds claiming that the part was put out for UPS and he thinks that the garbage men picked it up by mistake. He says he is sorry for the trouble and says that he is mailing me a check to refund my money. Never arrives.

I go back and forth with emails over a period of weeks before I decide to find out who this guys really is. To make a long story short, it turns out that he is a college student at the University of North Carolina. And discussions with the UNC police reveal that it is likely that he was praying on websites such as Rennlist looking for suckers such as myself that would not be suspicious of what seemed like another member and would be likely to part with $50-100 pretty readily. Investigation pending.

Well, shame on me for being a sucker, but I really did not expect to find that kind of b.s. here. In any case, all members should beware of this type of scum.
Old 06-04-2004, 09:15 PM
SandyI
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear about your situation. I do remember seeing a series of questionable offerings from someone in North Carolina. One of them featured an RS seat that he "didn't have at his place but was in Germany." Then I realized he was just running the picture from an ad from a German seatmaker and marking up the cost about $300 U.S.
Old 06-07-2004, 10:59 AM
ljugete
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There has to be a way to chase these SOB's down and punish them for this FRAUD! I say some jail time would be appropriate!

This happens so often on the WWW!

I've been burn't a couple of times too. One was very similar to your situation and the other I recieved an incomplete and useless parts!
Old 06-27-2013, 08:23 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 255 Likes on 119 Posts

Did this ever get resolved?
Old 06-27-2013, 01:04 PM
YourFace
Spark-plug-girl
Rennlist Member

It would be great to have a rating scale for members who sell and/or exchange parts between users using Rennlist as their third party. Would have saved www BS.
Old 06-28-2013, 10:14 AM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Whoa, 10 year old thread!
Old 06-28-2013, 10:27 AM
YourFace
Spark-plug-girl
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Marc Gelefsky
Whoa, 10 year old thread!
OMG I just proved my own theory..sometimes dates are far more interesting than the actual event.. well in this case.. the title thanks Marc

Quick Reply: Fraud Alert