Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2023, 07:58 PM
Curated Content Editor
Rennlist Editor

Received 173 Likes on 132 Posts
Default 7 Weird Paint to Sample Porsche Colors That Somehow Work

7 Weird Paint to Sample Porsche Colors That Somehow Work
By Patrick Morgan

We picked out some of Porsche's most unique and interesting paint to sample colors.

Old 11-15-2023, 04:45 PM
Atheist
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 112 Posts

What a way to kill the resale value.
Old 11-17-2023, 02:50 PM
tommyt73
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ya think? If the respray was done by Porsche Exclusiv, at the factory, and the whole car disassembled to be sure everything was covered? I suspect it wouldn't have the value impact that your comment implies.

I agree with you that the value for a collector would be affected, but hey, there are lots of 911s, and I can see many a driver (including me) giving a close look at a car like this.
Old 11-17-2023, 03:03 PM
tommyt73
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

BTW, Porsche Club of America members were told in 2006 that the color Azzuro California was limited to the production of just 51 "911 Club Coupe" models, one for each US state (and one for display). The series was based on the early 997.1 Carrera "S" model, and built in celebration of the 50th Porsche Parade, the annual national convention of the Club. A lottery was held, limited to Club members, to determine who would then have the pleasure of negotiating their order. There were a number of special features besides the color, including the one-off full leather interior in light tan, X51 power package, Sport Chrono, Bose amp/speakers, and more that I don't remember. I was standing next to the car when it was unveiled in a ballroom at the Hotel Hershey at the 2006 Porsche Parade.
Old 11-17-2023, 03:57 PM
Atheist
Racer

Originally Posted by tommyt73
Ya think? If the respray was done by Porsche Exclusiv, at the factory, and the whole car disassembled to be sure everything was covered? I suspect it wouldn't have the value impact that your comment implies.

I agree with you that the value for a collector would be affected, but hey, there are lots of 911s, and I can see many a driver (including me) giving a close look at a car like this.
My comment about the resale value was not related to the quality of the paint job. I assume there is no respray as paint to sample colors are ordered on new cars and painted in original production, not a respray. The effect on resale is more based on the fact that, most of those colors, not all, are going to be a turn off to many car buyers, which limit the amount of potential buyers upon resale. Some of those colors have a very narrow appeal. It isn't a comment on taste but a reality. If I found the perfect spec on a used Porsche but the car was a color I did not like its a no deal. Not so say some might love the color but, when you limit the amount of potential interested buyers with a color that is not very universally appealing, unless the car is rare or collectible because of it, sort of the opposite of your assessment,it will limit demand and lower the price. Much easier to sell cars that are White, Black, Red, Silver etc., than pink, purple, yellow ( which I like BTW) or mint green, etc. Just a fact.
The following users liked this post:
Lovejoy (11-19-2023)
Old 11-20-2023, 09:43 PM
leftlane
Rennlist Member

Received 463 Likes on 308 Posts

Those PTS cars will be worth the most 30 years from now - the total opposite of killing resale value. Also - if you choose a color based on what the next owner might like instead of what you really want, you are doing this all wrong.
Old 11-22-2023, 10:49 AM
lexbro
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I'd take the time to look it over
--works for me
Old 11-22-2023, 12:28 PM
Atheist
Racer

Originally Posted by leftlane
Those PTS cars will be worth the most 30 years from now - the total opposite of killing resale value. Also - if you choose a color based on what the next owner might like instead of what you really want, you are doing this all wrong.
Well I suppose you just made my point, because if you buy the car and hold it for 30 years, not driving it with the expectation that in 30 years it will be a rare collectible and a profitable investment, then in fact your are buying something based on what the next owner will want to pay for. So I agree you are doing it all wrong. Buy a pink car cause you love it and drive it, then yes, you are doing it right, but you will have a limited market and it will depress the resale value in most cases. Buying a car you think is going to appreciate or hold value over 1 to 30 years is the very definition of buying something the next owner might or might not like. My point most people are not into purple or pink cars. Unless of course you find a Mary Kay associate looking for a pink Porsche.

Quick Reply: 7 Weird Paint to Sample Porsche Colors That Somehow Work