Notices

Experience buying from Canada and registering in the US?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2023, 01:40 AM
ckworks
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Experience buying from Canada and registering in the US?

Anyone buy cars from Canada and brought it to the US? How hard is the process? And what taxes are paid? I'm both countries?
Old 11-14-2023, 07:42 AM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,233 Likes on 910 Posts

Originally Posted by ckworks
Anyone buy cars from Canada and brought it to the US? How hard is the process? And what taxes are paid? I'm both countries?
What is the reason to do this, given the km/mph difference, paperwork headaches and fees? Is there an arbitrage you are focused on? Or a “special” car in CAN that you can’t find an equivalent in the U.S. market?

If you are bi-located why not just drive one car back and forth across the border or buy a second car so you have wheels on both sides of the border?

What is driving your thinking?
Old 11-14-2023, 11:54 AM
ckworks
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great questions. Mostly due to particular spec: Manual + CPO + 991

I'm not bi-located, but a 2.5 hour drive to the boarder. Currently there are two that fit the bill and are on the lot on CPO. I've reached out to the dealer about logistics and if CPO is transferable across boarders. I can do a bit more digging on tax implications. Didn't think about the KM/MPH dash. I have an S2000 and it's a couple of buttons and I'm in the right speedo.

Originally Posted by chassis
What is the reason to do this, given the km/mph difference, paperwork headaches and fees? Is there an arbitrage you are focused on? Or a “special” car in CAN that you can’t find an equivalent in the U.S. market?

If you are bi-located why not just drive one car back and forth across the border or buy a second car so you have wheels on both sides of the border?

What is driving your thinking?
The following users liked this post:
chassis (11-14-2023)
Old 11-14-2023, 08:07 PM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,233 Likes on 910 Posts

Not worth the hassle in my view. The car can't be that special, can it?

I would not trust any car dealer in the U.S. to stand behind any verbal claims that CPO would be honored on a Canadian car in the U.S. market. I'm not sure a letter from Porsche USA would be good enough, because dealers could stiff arm you on warranty work if they felt like it, and your recourse would be to find another dealer or cry to Porsche USA. Time and aggravation wasted.

Any claims regarding CPO validity made by the Canadian selling dealer aren't work the paper they are printed on, if they are printed on paper at all.

This deal has red lights flashing and red flags waving.

Quick Reply: Experience buying from Canada and registering in the US?