Notices

Is this 911 a good price? (and other questions I have had)

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2023, 01:18 AM
sketchy ventures
Track Day

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Is this 911 a good price? (and other questions I have had)

Is the mileage higher than normal?
Is the price above average?
How does one listing compare to another spec or newer model years?

These questions started me on a little side project to create a data viz of consolidated pricing and listing data, which makes it easier to check how an individual listing compares to other more broadly in the market (in an interactive visual format).

I thought that the project may be useful to other members on this forum, so I wanted to share with the Rennlist community to helps anyone buy (or sell) their next 911. Please see the attached link and screenshot below!

911 (991) Pricing Data Project

Instructions:
- Hover over data points to reveal details of individual listings.
- Filter data by: (i) clicking on the Variant Category bar chart; (ii) clicking on color key Variants; (iii) using the sliding bar to change the production year range.

Filtering the data will re-calculate the statistics shown at the top of the dashboard for the relevant filtered data.

A few quick points:
- the data is form public listings in the United States (so it is not possible to verify the information for accuracy)
- the data reflects the past 14 days (approx) of listing data

I am interested to hear any feedback, good or bad.

Reach out if you have any questions!

Last edited by sketchy ventures; 08-06-2023 at 06:28 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Sajan (08-07-2023)
Old 08-06-2023, 10:07 AM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Good stuff, well done. Suggestions:

1. Place a title (label) above each chart (graph). "X vs Y". My high school physics teacher taught me that. It answers the question "what am I looking at"?

2. At the top of every screen and screenshot, indicate what the data is/are, for example: active and unsold listings over the past xyz time window or sold listings over xyz time window.

3. Include a footnote at the bottom of each screenshot/screen which indicates the source of the data, for example: "Source: xyz website active listings as of abc date."

Data source or progeny is important. It answers the question: whose numbers are these and what story are they trying to tell me?

Last edited by chassis; 08-06-2023 at 10:09 AM.
Old 08-06-2023, 06:32 PM
sketchy ventures
Track Day

thank you for the feed back! I was planning on updating and re-posting each week, so I will look to include in the next version.
chassis (08-06-2023)
Old 08-11-2023, 09:13 AM
sketchy ventures
Track Day

I have updated with the data from the last week and made a few tweaks - including:
- including source/dealership;
- adding titles for clarity; and
- removing the supply/demand graphs (I might add back in at a later stage).

991 Pricing Viz (w/o 12 August)

One interesting insight I found was this GT3 RS in Lava Orange. It sits below the estimated price curve (given the mileage). In the background I can also see it has been on the market 52 days (about 12 more than typically expected), and has already had a $5k price reduction.

Digging into the details it does appear include PCCB and bucket seats - interested to hear other people's thoughts whether they think - is it a good price?

Listing
chassis (08-11-2023)
Old 08-20-2023, 03:45 AM
sketchy ventures
Track Day

Update for the week - enjoy

https://public.tableau.com/shared/S8...viz_share_link
Porsche 911 [991] Price Data
chassis (08-20-2023)
Old 08-20-2023, 12:23 PM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Good update.

Provenance - the below information should be clear and in large print, not in greyed out fine print:
- data provenance is missing (maybe I couldn't find it): What is (are) the data source(s)?
- date is "w/o". What is the time window represented by the data?

Filtering:
- production date slider at the bottom of the right by-model chart updates only the right chart. It would good if the left mileage-based chart was also updated, or could be updated based on user input
- mileage-based chart would be good to have a mileage range slider at the bottom, similar as the model-based chart on the right. Same comment as above that the model-based chart should be updatable based on mileage slider, if the user chooses.
Old 08-21-2023, 07:04 AM
sketchy ventures
Track Day

Thank you for the feed back! The filtering issue is now resolve (I had to reapply after updating the data set).

In respect of time window, it is currently ~4 weeks of data. I will make this clearer on the next update. I am not sure what time window would be useful (e.g. 4, 8, or 12 weeks) as at some point the data point may become irrelevant. I might include a filter to select the time window to allow users to choose.

As for data source, if you hover over a single data point - you can see the Seller and the State. This will allow you to find the dealership and locate the car to review further

I have now also include a mileage filter to help narrow down the results - it should work the same as the Production Year slide bar (thanks for the suggestion!).

For Models, you can simple "click" on each variant (or the colored tile next to it) to filter each one. One click will just 'highlight' those data points. However, you can choose "keep only" and that will remove all other variants from the chart (let me know if it doesn't function as you may expect).

the same link above should be working with the updated model

Cheers!

Last edited by sketchy ventures; 08-21-2023 at 07:07 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by sketchy ventures:
chassis (08-24-2023), Wazoo (08-28-2023)
Old 08-22-2023, 12:52 AM
sketchy ventures
Track Day

Another user asked for 997 data.

I pulled this together for those interested

Porsche 997 Pricing Data
chassis (08-24-2023)

Quick Reply: Is this 911 a good price? (and other questions I have had)