Notices

Help - Wheel Lug issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2023, 11:36 AM
BarnacleSteve
Advanced

Received 38 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Help - Wheel Lug issues

I have a 997.1 and did a wheel stud conversion so i can easily run different size spacers depending on the wheels I am rocking. I have a set of CCW 18in 3 piece wheels that I am currently using and keep having issues with the lug nuts. After some time the lug nut seems to get crushed inside the wheel which causes the first two threads to get grinded down. This makes it super hard to spin the lug nut on and off and at times has gotten so stuck that when i go to take it off it actually takes the entire stud off with it. These lug nuts are conical (which was what CCW told me they use) given the wear on the lug nut i am wondering if the wheel is actually a ball seat?

My thought at this point is to just switch back to lug bolts and ditch the studs as this is becoming such a pain. Attached is a photo of a new nut (top) and the worn one (bottom)

Do I get ball or conical lug bolts to help resolve this?

Old 05-18-2023, 01:10 PM
Pappagray
Instructor

Received 249 Likes on 105 Posts

that wear is from the wrong seat. There are different taper seats, it appears the lugs you are using have to much angle of seat
Old 05-18-2023, 01:25 PM
BarnacleSteve
Advanced

Originally Posted by Pappagray
that wear is from the wrong seat. There are different taper seats, it appears the lugs you are using have to much angle of seat
appreciate the reply. My initial reaction is to get some ball seat nuts and try that out. Though it just seems odd for aftermarket wheels to use ball. I guess I thought they typically went conical
Old 05-18-2023, 06:10 PM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,532 Likes on 1,116 Posts

Originally Posted by BarnacleSteve
appreciate the reply. My initial reaction is to get some ball seat nuts and try that out. Though it just seems odd for aftermarket wheels to use ball. I guess I thought they typically went conical
What does the spec sheet or website for your wheels tell you regarding fastener seat shape?
Old 05-18-2023, 06:28 PM
BarnacleSteve
Advanced

Response from manufacture is cone

Those have a conical seat for a standard conical lug nut.”

these lug nuts are from rennline.
Old 05-20-2023, 11:51 AM
BarnacleSteve
Advanced

To close out the thread. The issue was with the lug nuts from rennline. They are significantly more aggressive then standard conical lugs
The following users liked this post:
chassis (05-20-2023)

Quick Reply: Help - Wheel Lug issues