Notices

Registration question: Buying a new Porsche from out of state dealer (I'm in Texas)

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2023, 08:30 PM
mthreat
Pro

Received 355 Likes on 186 Posts
Default Registration question: Buying a new Porsche from out of state dealer (I'm in Texas)

Does anyone have experience with this? I'm in Texas and in a week or two my new 992 arrives at the out of state dealer. I was hoping to bring the car home and register it myself with the DMV, but the dealer said they have to send the sales information to my state (which includes ADM as part of the car price). Texas has a 6.25% tax, but the state I'm buying from has a much lower tax (but not zero). I wonder if it would be better to register it in that state first, pay the tax there, and then move it to Texas and register it. I know in Texas I'd still have to pay the difference in sales tax (6.25% - 3%), but when I've brought a used car to Texas before, they looked up the value in their database, which doesn't include ADMs. Any advice appreciated.
Old 05-10-2023, 08:47 PM
Panuny
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

I bought a new pickup truck off the lot in 2020 from an adjacent state dealer. They charged my home state's tax at my home state's rate as part of the purchase price. I didn't have any choice in the process. I wish I could pay the Texas rate let alone the 3% rate compared to my home state.

Last edited by Panuny; 05-10-2023 at 08:48 PM.
Old 05-11-2023, 02:26 AM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Originally Posted by mthreat
Does anyone have experience with this? I'm in Texas and in a week or two my new 992 arrives at the out of state dealer. I was hoping to bring the car home and register it myself with the DMV, but the dealer said they have to send the sales information to my state (which includes ADM as part of the car price). Texas has a 6.25% tax, but the state I'm buying from has a much lower tax (but not zero). I wonder if it would be better to register it in that state first, pay the tax there, and then move it to Texas and register it. I know in Texas I'd still have to pay the difference in sales tax (6.25% - 3%), but when I've brought a used car to Texas before, they looked up the value in their database, which doesn't include ADMs. Any advice appreciated.
I bought from a California dealer and I am in the Midwest. No registration and no state involvement. He emailed me an invoice, I signed it and wired the money. I signed some dealer hold harmless/no warranty papers and it was done.

When the car arrived I drove it to my local DMV, paid sales tax and registration fee, and walked out with a title receipt, registration receipt and new plates. Original title arrived by mail two weeks later.

CA does not have a tax agreement with my state so the dealer did nothing in that regard - no tax paid or title/registration docs.

On the other hand I bought a VW for my son in the Midwest and drove it with temp tags to the east coast where he lives. The dealer in this scenario did more work in the transaction. There is variability among dealers and among states.

Last edited by chassis; 05-11-2023 at 05:01 PM.
Old 05-11-2023, 09:02 AM
rwbern
Rennlist Member

Received 897 Likes on 404 Posts

Register on MT and save the sales tax all together.
Old 05-11-2023, 10:58 AM
JC Lacayo
Pro

Received 136 Likes on 100 Posts

depends on the state(s). Illinois didn't charge me tax and I went to DMV and paid it cash then. Nice since it didn't go on the vehicle finance. Texas included the taxes in the deal.
Old 05-12-2023, 08:35 PM
toma nova
Rennlist Member

Received 354 Likes on 238 Posts

We bought our Cayenne new from a dealer in Atlanta. They provided a temp GA plate good for 30 days and all the sales paperwork, that was it. After we got home, I went to the DMV and wrote the check for 6.25% and got our TX plate. Very easy process.
Old 05-12-2023, 10:49 PM
mthreat
Pro

Originally Posted by toma nova
We bought our Cayenne new from a dealer in Atlanta. They provided a temp GA plate good for 30 days and all the sales paperwork, that was it. After we got home, I went to the DMV and wrote the check for 6.25% and got our TX plate. Very easy process.
Did you get a GA title first, before going to the DMV at home?

Last edited by mthreat; 05-13-2023 at 09:52 PM.
Old 05-14-2023, 05:07 PM
othertbone
Rennlist Member

Received 320 Likes on 209 Posts

Seems like an awful lot of effort to only save tax on your ADM. Just buy it the proper way

Old 05-14-2023, 05:50 PM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Originally Posted by mthreat
Did you get a GA title first, before going to the DMV at home?
All of your questions can be answered with a phone call tomorrow to the dealer you are taking delivery from. Please report back on your findings.
Old 05-14-2023, 06:49 PM
mthreat
Pro

Originally Posted by chassis
All of your questions can be answered with a phone call tomorrow to the dealer you are taking delivery from. Please report back on your findings.
Thanks, good advice. I asked them and they didn't know, since they only know the first step. Hence my questions here.
Old 05-14-2023, 10:42 PM
toma nova
Rennlist Member

Received 354 Likes on 238 Posts

Did not get a GA title from the Atlanta dealer, only sales and manufacturer paperwork. Drove home on the temp GA tag and our new, current insurance. No issues along the way. Once home, everything was simple at the DMV including TX taxes. New plates immediately, TX title comes a month later (or is held by the lien holder until paid off).
Old 05-14-2023, 11:58 PM
mthreat
Pro

Originally Posted by toma nova
Did not get a GA title from the Atlanta dealer, only sales and manufacturer paperwork. Drove home on the temp GA tag and our new, current insurance. No issues along the way. Once home, everything was simple at the DMV including TX taxes. New plates immediately, TX title comes a month later (or is held by the lien holder until paid off).
Thanks!

Quick Reply: Registration question: Buying a new Porsche from out of state dealer (I'm in Texas)