Notices

How to weaken sticker glue before applying?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2023, 07:04 AM
Duke48
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default How to weaken sticker glue before applying?

I am going for an event with my Porsche. There are compulsory stickers to be applied. What can I put on the glue side so it becomes weaker but still sticks for a day? Spray it with silicone? What are my options?
Old 04-21-2023, 08:08 AM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,532 Likes on 1,116 Posts

Originally Posted by Duke48
I am going for an event with my Porsche. There are compulsory stickers to be applied. What can I put on the glue side so it becomes weaker but still sticks for a day? Spray it with silicone? What are my options?
Do you have a photo from prior years of the event?

Can the sticker be placed on glass? Then use a blade to remove the sticker?

What is the name of the event?
Old 04-22-2023, 09:08 AM
ldamelio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,061 Likes on 583 Posts

Originally Posted by Duke48
Several options - depending on the size of the numbers required and your car, place the numbers on the windows. You either place adhesive ones on the outside or non-adhesive ones (like the PCA decal they send every year) on the inside. The small rear side windows of the Cayman and 911 are popular sites for track numbers.

If you have a little time before the event, shop on trackdecals.com. Their low adhesive vinyl numbers work very well. I have a set that have survived 33 track days to date and they are very kind to the finish - that part of the car (doors) still looks new after repeated removal and application..

If you, your wife, or anyone she knows has a Cricut (a popular crafting device kind of like a 2 D printer), they can easily make some low adhesive decals for you.

Finally, the ghetto solution - make them out of low adhesive painters tape. Won't hurt the car at all. If you take 2 minutes to cut them with scissors, they actually look OK.

DON'T spray random stuff on your car. In a well-intentioned effort to protect it, you're more likely top screw it up as well as lose your decals.

Last edited by ldamelio; 04-22-2023 at 09:09 AM.
Old 04-22-2023, 09:32 AM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,233 Likes on 2,207 Posts

Maybe applying some car wax/sealant would help? Probably would make it just slick enough to remove. If it's only on there for a day, shouldn't be an issue even if you didn't do anything. Remove with steam or a heat gun on low heat.
Old 04-22-2023, 01:35 PM
othertbone
Pro

Received 322 Likes on 211 Posts

You will be fine. Everyone does it and the numbers come right off

What car?
The following users liked this post:
ldamelio (04-23-2023)

Quick Reply: How to weaken sticker glue before applying?