Notices

Porsche SUV / Sedan Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2023, 12:51 PM
Spork
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Porsche SUV / Sedan Questions

I have a low miles (33K) C5 Z06 Corvette which I love and is a lot of car the for money. 405HP and weighs just a bit over 3100 pounds. It is 100% stock without a single blemish on it. Because it is pretty much like a new car I'm slightly hesitant to drive it a lot. Another factor is that I live a mile up a dirt road so I have to creep up and down the road so it doesn't get filthy.

I also have a Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited with a 2" lift on 30" tires. I use this as my most frequent daily driver although I'm retired so I don't drive every day. I really like this vehicle as it is comfortable, can go anywhere and is a good size being not too big or small.

I also have a Mercury Grand Marquis "land yacht". I bought this car to make the 1500 mile round trip to AZ to visit my elderly mom. It has only 60K miles on it and is super comfortable and reliable.

The reason I mention all this is because I want to sell all three and consolidate to one vehicle to replace them. I had a really nice 996 that I foolishly sold about 5 years ago right before they started going up in price. I really liked that car despite all the possible M96 engine failure issues, none of which I experienced. Because of that, I was thinking about a Cayenne, Macan or Panamera. I would like an AWD model and preferable either a V8 or turbo car with good power so I won't miss the Corvette so much. I'd like something with the performance and handling of the Corvette, the ride height and off road capability of the Jeep, and the comfort of the Mercury.

I'm seeing a lot of these cars for sale at pretty decent prices, $30K ish (or lower) with under 100K miles. I know nothing about these cars having not done much research yet. How do they handle? Are they relatively fast (I guess depends on which engine)? How reliable are they? What should I avoid? What are the differences between each model? I'm seeing some of these for sale with over 200K miles on them so I figure if I get one under 100K, I should be able to last a while before it costs me too much in repairs? Any other cars I should consider that would fit me needs?

Oh, and I have a few other vehicles too so this would not be my only car.

Last edited by Spork; 03-26-2023 at 12:53 PM.
Old 03-26-2023, 05:25 PM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Addressing the points listed:

- Corvette handling: yes for GTS and Turbo models
- ride height and off road capability: yep, built in for all Cayenne models
- comfort: yes, especially with air suspension

Try perusing the 958 section to learn about what to look for and general reliability. Later models will have more bugs worked out of them, compared with earlier years.

Quick Reply: Porsche SUV / Sedan Questions