Notices

Frustration with dealers and PPIs

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2023, 12:30 PM
shaka__zulue
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Frustration with dealers and PPIs

Is it normal for dealers to refuse a car go out for a PPI? I'm 1000% ok with leaving a cash deposit and have funds fully available for final purchase pending a successful PPI, but I have run into dealer after dealer in different states that don't want to let the cars go out to local reputable shops to get a PPI. They are ok with the folks going there, but they just refuse to let the car go to the shops. Definitely a frustrating experience as there have been a few nice cars that I'm just not able to pull the trigger on due to this.

Old 03-22-2023, 04:10 PM
LDT
Burning Brakes

Received 512 Likes on 369 Posts

Request that you take the car for a couple of hours to test drive it, take it home and look it over. Prearrange a PPI.
I’ve never had a dealer refuse my request to take a pre owned car for an afternoon or in some cases overnight.
Old 03-22-2023, 09:46 PM
shaka__zulue
Track Day

Originally Posted by LDT
Request that you take the car for a couple of hours to test drive it, take it home and look it over. Prearrange a PPI.
I’ve never had a dealer refuse my request to take a pre owned car for an afternoon or in some cases overnight.
Since these are all out of state cars I unfortunately don't have the luxury.

Old 03-23-2023, 10:12 AM
jason95R
Racer

Received 167 Likes on 105 Posts

I can't find the BAT auction link at the momement, and it's probably a very rare situation, but there was a very nice low mile black 997 GT3 up for auction last year. A bidder/commenter on the auction wanted a PPI done before the end of the auction and the seller said yes. He was driving it to get that done when he was hit by an uninsured driver. Totally derailed the auction and cost him a ton of money in resale when it was repaired and relisted.

I know that's a highly unlikely scenario but I'm sure the dealers don't want the liablility or the hassle of transporting the car or some one else coming to get it and bring it to their shop. Now, if you offered to pay to flatbed it to the other shop they might be willing to do that. But in any case I think the just don't want any potential of the car being damaged during the process. In some ways I understand that.

But as LDT said above if you can find a car that meets your desired specs locally then an extended "test drive" to a PPI shop may be your best option.
Old 03-24-2023, 11:14 AM
mrandell
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by shaka__zulue
Is it normal for dealers to refuse a car go out for a PPI? I'm 1000% ok with leaving a cash deposit and have funds fully available for final purchase pending a successful PPI, but I have run into dealer after dealer in different states that don't want to let the cars go out to local reputable shops to get a PPI. They are ok with the folks going there, but they just refuse to let the car go to the shops. Definitely a frustrating experience as there have been a few nice cars that I'm just not able to pull the trigger on due to this.
Sold my car for a little less to not deal with "porsche people." Same reason bankers avoid making loans to lawyers.

The fair way to do it is to have one price out the door and another with an allowance for stuff the PPI finds.
Old 03-24-2023, 12:25 PM
shaka__zulue
Track Day

Originally Posted by jason95R
I can't find the BAT auction link at the momement, and it's probably a very rare situation, but there was a very nice low mile black 997 GT3 up for auction last year. A bidder/commenter on the auction wanted a PPI done before the end of the auction and the seller said yes. He was driving it to get that done when he was hit by an uninsured driver. Totally derailed the auction and cost him a ton of money in resale when it was repaired and relisted.

I know that's a highly unlikely scenario but I'm sure the dealers don't want the liablility or the hassle of transporting the car or some one else coming to get it and bring it to their shop. Now, if you offered to pay to flatbed it to the other shop they might be willing to do that. But in any case I think the just don't want any potential of the car being damaged during the process. In some ways I understand that.

But as LDT said above if you can find a car that meets your desired specs locally then an extended "test drive" to a PPI shop may be your best option.
Yes I totally understand the view as well. I mentioned to the dealers that I was willing to put down a deposit, however you make a good suggestion about having the vehicle flatbed towed for the PPI. I'll give them a call today and see if they are willing to allow that to happen. Thanks for that recommendation.
Old 03-24-2023, 12:28 PM
shaka__zulue
Track Day

Originally Posted by mrandell
Sold my car for a little less to not deal with "porsche people." Same reason bankers avoid making loans to lawyers.

The fair way to do it is to have one price out the door and another with an allowance for stuff the PPI finds.
Yeah I think that would be a fair way to handle it.

Personally I think any dealership that's selling a Porsche should just expect these requests as a norm. It's not like people are looking to drop a couple of bucks for a car here, so they should have these expectations from potential buyers and do their best to have all of this stuff done up front. Especially on a 20+ year old machine that they're looking to get in excess of 30K.

The main thing that I want to have done is a borescope on the m96. If that checks out then I'm a buyer that has cash ready, but man is it exhausting trying to get things to shake out.
Old 03-28-2023, 07:49 PM
McLaren997
Racer

Received 98 Likes on 66 Posts

What is the incentive for a dealer to allow a PPI at another shop ? They are not worried about selling the car in the current market so why would they allow it ? Car dealers are simple folk that want to buy and sell cars with as little effort as possible. Anything that is different they want no part of.
Old 03-28-2023, 07:53 PM
shaka__zulue
Track Day

Originally Posted by McLaren997
What is the incentive for a dealer to allow a PPI at another shop ? They are not worried about selling the car in the current market so why would they allow it ? Car dealers are simple folk that want to buy and sell cars with as little effort as possible. Anything that is different they want no part of.
If someone offers to pay a deposit to hold the car for their policy of 7 days I would think that the incentive is to get the deal closed
Old 03-28-2023, 08:00 PM
McLaren997
Racer

Received 98 Likes on 66 Posts

I think that might be true in a normal market but in this market I don't think they are worried about selling the car.
Old 03-28-2023, 09:24 PM
shaka__zulue
Track Day

Originally Posted by McLaren997
I think that might be true in a normal market but in this market I don't think they are worried about selling the car.
This is definitely what I'm finding to be the case.
Old 03-30-2023, 12:33 AM
shaka__zulue
Track Day

Looks like I was FINALLY able to find something and get something to work out, so if things go according to plan I'll be coming home Friday with a new to me p-car.

Super excited!!!!
Old 03-31-2023, 08:22 PM
shaka__zulue
Track Day

I'm officially a part of the pcar family!

The following 2 users liked this post by shaka__zulue:
KLOC (04-04-2023), LDT (03-31-2023)
Old 03-31-2023, 08:25 PM
LDT
Burning Brakes

Received 512 Likes on 369 Posts

996 turbo?
Old 04-02-2023, 12:46 AM
shaka__zulue
Track Day

Originally Posted by LDT