Save your money, boys and girls…

https://apple.news/AaqiirQawQViZuCRX1m1jJw

The following users liked this post:
toph4242 (03-19-2023)
Old 03-19-2023, 01:51 PM
nyca
Drifting

Received 915 Likes on 510 Posts

Makes no sense to invest in the EU with all gas engines to be banned there in a few years. Porsche itself should open a plant in the US.
Old 03-19-2023, 02:06 PM
blackland
Burning Brakes

Received 437 Likes on 254 Posts

There are plenty of Fascist in the USA looking to ban gasoline power as well.

That HQ is only a few miles from our condo, when we move to MIA permanently in a few years I will definitely pay them a visit.
Guzzgreg (03-19-2023)
Old 03-19-2023, 02:12 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Received 2,236 Likes on 1,266 Posts

Originally Posted by nyca
Makes no sense to invest in the EU with all gas engines to be banned there in a few years. Porsche itself should open a plant in the US.

#1 I’d put money that it will be more than a decade, if not longer, before there’s a hard (as in 100%) ban of new ICE cars.

#2 Any “ban”, if/when it happens, will be on new cars…not the millions of existing ICE cars.

#3 Widespread market acceptance of EV’s by consumers, is highly dependent on having sufficient charging infrastructure to accommodate any massive conversion from ICE to EV….as well as lower prices for EV’s. I think Governmental time mandates are going to slide as they come up against the reality of consumers balking at making the switch because of high prices and a lack of charging infrastructure.

As the owner of a new EV, I can say I love it….but they aren’t for everyone…not now, at least. I have a home charger, as do most suburbanites with EV’s…but if you rent, or live in the city, charging where you live isn’t a reality, so you have to rely on the public charging infrastructure….and IMO, that is still a long way off from being even satisfactory for many. In 2022, EV’s represented about 5.8% of all new car sales in the US. With all the new players, expectations are that number to grow to around 20-25% of new car sales by 2030. Bottom line - ICE cars, both new and used will be around for sometime to come. But the trend towards EV seems inevitable….it just won’t happen as quickly as the pundits and Gov officials have anticipated.

Just my two cents.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 03-19-2023 at 02:22 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by CodyBigdog:
Kurac (03-19-2023), McNamara (03-19-2023), por356 (03-19-2023)
Old 03-19-2023, 02:58 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 5,097 Likes on 2,038 Posts

Listen, we all thought the mini-disc was the future at one point as well.
The following 2 users liked this post by shrimp money:
CO 992 (03-19-2023), TuvaD (03-19-2023)
Old 03-19-2023, 03:34 PM
toph4242
Rennlist Member

Received 2,569 Likes on 869 Posts

Really excited about this. I am heading to Munich in June when I do Euro Delivery, and I have a tour scheduled at the Ruf factory there! Should be a hell of a day
CodyBigdog (03-19-2023)
Old 03-19-2023, 04:00 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Originally Posted by shrimp money
Listen, we all thought the mini-disc was the future at one point as well.
We did? 😂

I must have missed that poll?

That said, there’s one thing we can count on (like taxes and death)….gas prices will continue to go up. Dwindling resource., although, if more people switch to EV, that will reduce demand for gas, similarly, as we experienced during COVID, with fewer people commuting….and thus help to keep gas prices at bay…so ICE people should actually thank EV buyers. 😎 You’re welcome.

I first went hybrid over 12 years ago (for my daily/commute vehicle), and saved me, conservatively, over $20k in commuting costs over that period (compared to my prior car that got 22 mpg and required premium gas). That is for real, and not exaggerating. Now, with an EV and home charging at night (off -hours), I pay $0.07/kWhr. That translates to about $2.24/100 miles, or $0.02-$0.3 per mile - for me. For any of my ICE cars (I have 3), the typical mileage is 25 mpg…and all require (or benefit) from premium at $4.50-$5.00 per gallon. So, to go 100 miles in any of my ICE cars costs me about $18-$20. Even as electrical rates go up, they will still be cheaper than gas. Full disclosure - charging at public charging stations is considerably more than home charging at off hours.

For many, it’s about saving money on transportation costs…environmental benefits are a secondary factor.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 03-19-2023 at 04:32 PM.
Old 03-20-2023, 04:42 PM
jason95R
Racer

Received 167 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog
#1 I’d put money that it will be more than a decade, if not longer, before there’s a hard (as in 100%) ban of new ICE cars.

#2 Any “ban”, if/when it happens, will be on new cars…not the millions of existing ICE cars.

#3 Widespread market acceptance of EV’s by consumers, is highly dependent on having sufficient charging infrastructure to accommodate any massive conversion from ICE to EV….as well as lower prices for EV’s. I think Governmental time mandates are going to slide as they come up against the reality of consumers balking at making the switch because of high prices and a lack of charging infrastructure.

As the owner of a new EV, I can say I love it….but they aren’t for everyone…not now, at least. I have a home charger, as do most suburbanites with EV’s…but if you rent, or live in the city, charging where you live isn’t a reality, so you have to rely on the public charging infrastructure….and IMO, that is still a long way off from being even satisfactory for many. In 2022, EV’s represented about 5.8% of all new car sales in the US. With all the new players, expectations are that number to grow to around 20-25% of new car sales by 2030. Bottom line - ICE cars, both new and used will be around for sometime to come. But the trend towards EV seems inevitable….it just won’t happen as quickly as the pundits and Gov officials have anticipated.

Just my two cents.

I very much agree with your opinion as well the reply just above this. (I don't know how to multiquote both)

I'm a new EV owner as of October 2022. I do 99% of my charging at home in the suburbs and have done a few longer road trips requiring public charging. In my area charging networks are very sparce and unreliable. But for my needs and small amount of commuting it works perfectly. My cost per kw/H is not nearly as low as yours but regular gas would have to be under $3 per gallon locally to be equivalent cost to charging at home. Plust the conveinience of not having to go to a gas station on a regular basis is so nice.

Until the public charging networks become more reliable and more available the overall adoption of EV's is going to take some time.

I bought one because of the lower cost to operate, technology, over the air updates, fun factor among other things. The environmental impact was definitely way down the list. But I'm enjoying it so far.

I drove my wife's Cayenne on Saturday for an extended period of time and couldn't wait to get out of it. Loud, clunky, and no one pedal drive had me all messed up. It will be really interesting getting back into my 911 after its winter hibernation in the Northeast and feeling that comparison.
Old 03-20-2023, 06:02 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Originally Posted by jason95R
I very much agree with your opinion as well the reply just above this. (I don't know how to multiquote both)

I'm a new EV owner as of October 2022. I do 99% of my charging at home in the suburbs and have done a few longer road trips requiring public charging. In my area charging networks are very sparce and unreliable. But for my needs and small amount of commuting it works perfectly. My cost per kw/H is not nearly as low as yours but regular gas would have to be under $3 per gallon locally to be equivalent cost to charging at home. Plust the conveinience of not having to go to a gas station on a regular basis is so nice.

Until the public charging networks become more reliable and more available the overall adoption of EV's is going to take some time.

I bought one because of the lower cost to operate, technology, over the air updates, fun factor among other things. The environmental impact was definitely way down the list. But I'm enjoying it so far.

I drove my wife's Cayenne on Saturday for an extended period of time and couldn't wait to get out of it. Loud, clunky, and no one pedal drive had me all messed up. It will be really interesting getting back into my 911 after its winter hibernation in the Northeast and feeling that comparison.
I am sold on EV’s, and once I decide to sell/trade-in one of my 3 ICE cars, it will be replaced by an EV. That decision has already been made by both my wife and I. I am slowly making the conversion. But my 992S will not be on the chopping block. It’s still such a blast to drive, I can’t ever see getting rid of that car….only to be used as a “fun car”. But my M4 and/ or my Lexus 350RX will be…eventually.

I’ve taken my EV (2022 Polestar 2) on two short-medium trips from Annapolis, Md to Philly and back (~ 230 miles round trip), and was able to make those trips on just a single charge session from home. 👍 But earlier in 2022, I made a 1600 mile round trip from Annapolis to Chicago to see my son and wife… and that trip did require multiple stops at Electrify America (still get free charging). Maybe we were lucky, but my wife and I (and our Golden Retriever) had no charging issues (ie, everything worked, and no wait to charge)..and we used those 30-45 minute charging sessions to eat, bathroom and walk the dog….so they were not a waste of time. For us, we’ve never experienced “range anxiety” nor do we worry about the dirth of public charging stations where we want to go. We manage.

Quick Reply: Porsche tuner RUF opening North American headquarters