Notices

dealer lack of communication pre build-lock date

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2023, 11:01 AM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 627 Likes on 391 Posts
Default dealer lack of communication pre build-lock date

Hoping to benefit from your experience and insights in ordering a new Porsche.

Elated to obtain a buildable 718 CGTS 4.0 allocation, I spent a little time on the configurator speccing a build. This means it was my first try at a build for this car and I had planned to refine it over time before it locked. I shared the build with my SA, who said something like "Thank you for being so thoughtful with the build."

I placed a deposit in Nov and the idea was to do Euro Delivery in May or June. I didn’t want the car before then. I offered to do ED because the dealer gets an extra 718 allocation and I wouldn’t mind. As for ED itself, I am indifferent and could take it or leave it. But if it can benefit my dealer, who has been good to me, glad to accommodate.

Given the timing of the deposit, the first shot at the configurator, and the expected ED timing, I figured I had plenty of time before a build locked. You can probably guess where this is going by now.

Without any communication from my dealer or SA (other than emails about a Taycan I am helping a non-Porsche friend build and obtain), there was no communication about the Cayman GTS 4.0....until I got an email from Porsche last week informing me that my car had finished production.

I wasn’t even sure if the email was real so I sent it to my SA who confirmed it. He also LMK that ED was likely no longer an option because Porsche Germany had oversold the slots. (No problem on that, of course, for me.)

But the build was not finished in my mind. There’s stuff in it I don’t want (namely interior color) and stuff not in it I want (namely deviated stitching and more leather). I have had a preliminary conversation with my SA and I believe they will work with me.

It seems I have a few choices, assuming it's not unreasonable to believe that I should have been informed of the build lock date (which I just learned was early Dec.) and should not be bound to take the car.

#1 Simply agree that the dealer will take and sell the car and hope that I get another CGTS 4.0 allocation, assuming the dealer gets any, about which they said they have no idea but would likely give me one.

#2 Take the car, drive it around the block, and bring it back to the dealer for them to sell "pre-owned," so now they can charge market price for it, whatever that may be. I would do this option only if they agreed to make me substantially whole, which may be a challenge after taxes, fees, etc.

#3 Take the car and trade it to another dealer who has hinted they may have an allocation for me with timing that better suits my schedule (later this year).

#4 Take the car and sell it in the open market, though I don’t really want to do this if one of the other dealers (original or second one mentioned) could benefit from it. I am not looking to profit from this option but would like to get out without any loss.

Real question is Is this issue nearly 100% on the dealer for not being more communicative with me about timing of lock, etc.?

What was your experience with your dealer’s communication pre-lock?

Thanks so much for your thoughts.

Last edited by HelpMeHelpU; 01-31-2023 at 12:21 PM.
Old 01-31-2023, 12:10 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 747 Likes on 544 Posts

I had to sign off on my final lock with a contract and $5K deposit........I would press dealer to get you another allocation for what you want, as they can easily sell this car........paying lots of money and not being satisfied for the life of the car ownership with would have, could have thoughts........really not professional....go directly to GM and present case and higher if needed.....
The following 3 users liked this post by abiazis:
HelpMeHelpU (01-31-2023), JC Lacayo (01-31-2023), LDT (02-02-2023)
Old 02-04-2023, 09:26 PM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 627 Likes on 391 Posts

Bump...would love to hear thoughts from others.
Old 09-04-2023, 11:10 PM
itrocks4u
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 114 Posts

Are you basing your decision on T vs S on color options? Getting an allocation for S has not been easy so don't fall in to the trap of waiting only to find out you've lost T allocation as well.

Quick Reply: dealer lack of communication pre build-lock date