Notices

Opinions on "California duster"?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2021, 09:00 PM
Dr. G7
Three Wheelin'

Received 322 Likes on 265 Posts
Default Opinions on "California duster"?

Opinions on "California duster"?

One day after washing, pollen covered car. Looks disgusting.
https://meguiarsonline.com/forums/sh...rs-Safe-to-use

Mixed bag of opinions.

Autogeek says:

"Paraffin wax is coated onto the 100% cotton strands of the mop head, which makes dust, dirt, pollen, and lint stick within the strands. Instead of just moving these particles around, you are actually lifting and removing them. To clean the duster and prepare it for another use, simply shake the mop head and you’re ready to go"

Amazon has
The Original California Car Duster Detailing Kit with Plastic Handle, Model Number: 62445
4.7 out of 5 stars
3,785 ratings 3,785 ratings

But me thinketh Amazon reviews are fake.
Old 03-12-2021, 10:02 PM
wasabi4
Instructor

Received 78 Likes on 30 Posts

i've owned a couple during my more car care ignorant college years to try and keep my cars fresher looking. at best it would take most of the dust off but sometimes leave streaks - especially if the surface was warm; at worse it could leave fine scratches. now i'd rather leave my car dusty and wait for a proper wash than risk the minor marring that can occur with the duster's use. haven't owned one in over 10 yrs.
The following 2 users liked this post by wasabi4:
Dr. G7 (03-14-2021), SConn (03-17-2021)
Old 03-12-2021, 10:29 PM
iammacey
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 207 Posts

It depends on what you're after. If you want the pollen removed, it'll do it. It will also add light scratches. And it will leave streaks of wax, especially at first. I'm not really a fan of them. That said, if you're going to get one, look for the one with the wooden handle and not the plastic.

You could look at something like ONR and do a quick rinseless wash. Would take longer but give better results.
The following users liked this post:
Dr. G7 (03-14-2021)
Old 03-14-2021, 04:53 PM
Dr. G7
Three Wheelin'

Received 322 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by iammacey
It depends on what you're after. If you want the pollen removed, it'll do it. It will also add light scratches. And it will leave streaks of wax, especially at first. I'm not really a fan of them. That said, if you're going to get one, look for the one with the wooden handle and not the plastic.

You could look at something like ONR and do a quick rinseless wash. Would take longer but give better results.
Thanks. I do the wash when I can, and avoid the snake oil California dusters (made in china)
Old 03-15-2021, 02:13 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 761 Likes on 554 Posts

Only use with interior dusting.....leaves some streaks at first (harness paraffin wax) and after several uses that dissipates along with some brush particles, works really good in-between detailing.....have used for years....

Last edited by abiazis; 03-15-2021 at 02:15 PM.
Old 03-15-2021, 02:23 PM
Type 2
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Swiffer Dusters

Originally Posted by Dr. G7
Thanks. I do the wash when I can, and avoid the snake oil California dusters (made in china)
We use Swiffer Dusters with the short handles inside and out. Swiffers show when they are dirty, and Swiffers are disposable. Won full class at 2018 Parade for credentials.

Type 2
Old 03-15-2021, 09:50 PM
merstling
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The California Duster works well if you have a light coat of dust that you want to remove. When I say light I mean hard to see but shine seems dull. Do this very lightly. Removing pollen you can see it's probably best to use methods suggested.

Quick Reply: Opinions on "California duster"?