Notices

My First Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2021, 12:39 PM
monacoDK
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 8 Posts
Default My First Porsche

New to this forum and looking for some guidance/advice.

I turn 40 later this year and buying a Porsche on/before I hit that milestone age has always been a goal of mine. Had always assumed it'd be a 911, but lately the Macan and Cayman have been growing on me as well (since I'd be able to purchase a newer model of those two vs. a slightly older 911). Due to COVID, my employer is now 100% remote/work from anywhere so what used to be a 15mi commute each way is no longer an issue, thus adding to my decision that now is the right time (well, in 4-6 months when my current lease is up). In talking with the wife, she insists on 4 seats so the whole family can go for a drive together, so 718/Cayman/Boxster off the table, leaving just the Macan and 911 (don't want a larger SUV a la Cayenne)

With a budget of ~$50-55k, I have narrowed down a wishlist of what I think I can pull off:​​​​​​

911:
  • 997.2 (2009 - 2012). I'd prefer to avoid worrying about IMS issues, which is why I landed on a 997.2 vs. all 997s
  • Preference would be for a S, but given budgetary constraints I realize this may be an unreasonable request
  • Under 50k miles
  • No preference to cab or coupe. I live in AZ so top down weather is great for about 4 months a year otherwise it's too bloody hot
  • PDK transmission - while not a must-have, definitely a nice-to-have so the wife can take the car out (she doesn't drive a manual and clearly this isn't the car to learn on)
Macan:
  • GTS or higher (really love the GTS but I suppose if a Turbo was available in my budget I would have to consider it)
  • 2017-2018 w/CPO preferred
  • Under 30k miles
  • Sport Chrono Package (not sure if all GTS come with these but suspicion is no)

Two different animals, I know. On the one hand, the 911 has always been a dream of mine and I assume from a resale perspective, I'm more likely to "lose less" in depreciation over a 3-5yr period than I would with the Macan. However, I've not tried to stick to elementary aged children in the backseat of a 911 before and not sure of the practicality of being able to continue to do so as they grow. It's also been a long time since I've owned a vehicle older than 10+ years (perhaps my first car, an Oldsmobile) so while I would most certainly obtain a PPI prior to purchasing anything, I'm not sure if this is a valid concern or if I am overthinking the age factor knowing that I'll find a car within my desired mileage range.

On the Macan side, it does seem more practical given the larger size and the fact that I can find something up to 9 year newer than my target 911. However, I have read some horror stories about PDK issues on these that take me back to my wanting to avoid pre-997.2 with the IMS issue, but not sure if those are valid concerns or not. GTS spec or higher is intended to maintain that sports car feel, although I've not driven a GTS to validate if this will indeed scratch that itch or not

Anything else I should be considering that I've not laid out or thought of? Thanks in advance!
Old 01-14-2021, 06:56 AM
DanT88
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my opinion, a Porsche is for adults who have lived their lives.
Old 01-14-2021, 07:35 AM
itrsteve
Burning Brakes

Received 715 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by DanT88
In my opinion, a Porsche is for adults who have lived their lives.
Wait, so you should be pushing death in order to get a 911?

Interesting.

OP, this thread would probably work better in the 997 section.

Last edited by itrsteve; 01-14-2021 at 07:37 AM.
The following users liked this post:
monacoDK (01-14-2021)
Old 01-14-2021, 09:24 AM
JC Lacayo
Pro

Received 136 Likes on 100 Posts

My elementary school kids fit in the back of those 2+2 Pcars. None of us are promised tomorrow.
monacoDK (01-14-2021)
Old 01-14-2021, 03:37 PM
monacoDK
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JC Lacayo

My elementary school kids fit in the back of those 2+2 Pcars. None of us are promised tomorrow.
Thank you; made an appt to visit the nearby dealer and test fit the kids in the back
Old 01-17-2021, 08:38 AM
ldamelio
Rennlist Member

Received 964 Likes on 521 Posts

If you're buying it as a milestone car, a 911 is the only one that makes sense. It's special, you will enjoy it forever if you choose to. If you just want to have a Porsche to have a Porsche, a Macan is a level above similar performance SUVs, but not a lifetime special car.
MrMarco (02-03-2021)
Old 01-17-2021, 09:40 PM
Alex K.
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I always dreamed about a sportscar such as 911 or Corvette but at the point I could afford them I figured that they are not matching my needs - towing a boat in particular. I also figured they are pretty uncomfortable to get in and get out. After 6 months of research I ended up with a Macan which seem to check both boxes for me - it rides well and it has decent towing rating.

Granted you have never driven a GTS I would suggest to rent it for a week and take it on a road trip to get a feel of it.

Quick Reply: My First Porsche