Notices

Buying a Car Out of State?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2020, 01:43 AM
engerman
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Buying a Car Out of State?

Have any of you bought a car out of state recently? Tried going through a dealer to buy a QV and was told that I'll have trouble registering the car due to the DMV being backed up. Believe it or not they didn’t want to sell to me because of that... Apparently some of their customers had to wait as much as 6months. (I’m in Cali)
Old 11-07-2020, 10:49 AM
JC Lacayo
Pro

Received 134 Likes on 98 Posts

Maybe state specific? Last week I bought a car from Texas while I'm in GA and haven't had any issue. DMV may be backed up, but since the car is in my possession now, that's not on me.
The following users liked this post:
engerman (11-07-2020)
Old 11-19-2020, 03:31 PM
spnglr
5th Gear

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Just bought a 958 Cayenne in PA last weekend (I'm located in GA). The finance guy did mention that it may take awhile for the registration to go through, and mentioned an anecdote of a recent customer who had just received plates in their state (I think it was TX?) that week after a ~6 month wait.
It certainly had no bearing on their desire to make the sale, which is expected. What dealer would turn down a sale just due to registration delays? They gave me a 60-day temp tag, and then after that I'm assuming it's my problem.

Quick Reply: Buying a Car Out of State?