Notices

Classic-certified Porsche dealership declines to do a PPI

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2020, 05:46 PM
Matterhorn911
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Classic-certified Porsche dealership declines to do a PPI

When calling to get a PPI arranged at my local dealership on a 993 I was told that, as a policy, they don't do PPIs anymore. (Service advisor hinted that this is due to liability, but not sure if that's the official reason)
In any event, this is highly disappointing from Porsche at the same time they parade their new "Porsche Classic" product/service line. If this is truly a liability issue that prevents them from helping potential buyers (and indirectly, consenting sellers) from gaining confidence in the condition of $100k+ vehicles, then isn't the message passed is that they don't trust their own technicians (nor their lawyers who crafting lengthy disclaimers almost certain to be tagged on any PPI report)?
Did anyone have a similar experience / additional color?

Old 07-23-2020, 01:36 AM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 647 Likes on 401 Posts

I think it is way more complicated than the picture you are presenting. Here's the main reason why: A PPI is a relatively cursory inspection of a car. I have had several and have seen many, many more and most I thought were a complete joke--and I am not even mechanically inclined. Independent shops are able to get away with this because there are no real standards that exist that govern the thoroughness of such an inspection... and the only brand they have to protect is their own. Which, in the scheme of things, is very small (big to them, perhaps and of course, but tiny in the bigger picture).

Porsche, on the other hand, has a huge brand to protect and the fact is that REALLY inspecting cars this old is incredibly hard to do in a standardized manner. Also, as people hire Porsche shops to do PPIs, their expectations become very high: Well, a Porsche technician gave the car a thumbs up and X$7WZZ9B happened to the car ONE WEEK after the inspection. Then what? Who's fault? Who is responsible? Etc.

For Porsche, the squeeze is a lot more costly than the juice. I don't blame them.

Now, regarding your question about the Porsche Classic Centers, I do believe there's an opportunity and Porsche is probably already doing it, but think about an inspection and refresh option at a dealership. It may cost ten or 20 or 30 grand but think of what you might get out of it.
Old 08-06-2020, 11:47 PM
Targat2017
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Liability in giving an ''ok'' and something going wrong/breaking is high...
Will the dealer make good after the ok?
Called May/June dealers in NYC/Phila. area and some did not do them...
Old 01-13-2022, 06:28 PM
amphicar770
Racer

Received 151 Likes on 113 Posts

Oops. Wrong thread.

Last edited by amphicar770; 01-13-2022 at 08:42 PM.
Old 01-14-2022, 03:42 PM
360spider
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Had the same experience with a Ferrari dealer in NJ when I purchased my 360. Very nice but declined to do a PPI due to liability concerns.
They did put the Tech that worked on my car a year or so prior. Discussed car with me for 15 minutes.
Did not get a PPI on the 911 I recently purchased. 50% of CPO remaining, only 16k miles, excellent service history. We shall see!
Old 01-15-2022, 12:56 PM
Sajan
Pro

Received 302 Likes on 181 Posts

This is probably because of that one lawsuit from way back then....someone sued a shop for giving okay on a PPI and the car had major issues later.

Old 01-17-2022, 10:37 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by Sajan
This is probably because of that one lawsuit from way back then....someone sued a shop for giving okay on a PPI and the car had major issues later.
That was a well known indy in the north east, very active in pca tech, who apparently left our community as I never see his name anymore. He was a stand up guy and it was a big loss to pca and the racer/track guys in the northeast imho.

Quick Reply: Classic-certified Porsche dealership declines to do a PPI