Notices

997.2 Gear Linkage

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2020, 09:01 PM
bevvy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997.2 Gear Linkage

I have an issue with the transmission on a Porsche Carrera 997.2 C4S Manual, 2009. I started having issues when trying to select 1st gear. I know this has been covered in a number of other threads. The initial issue progressively and rapidly got worse and I assumed it may be due to the gear linkage requiring adjustment. Today I was at the traffic lights and couldn't find first gear even although the selector was in the gate, I then had an issue also trying to find 3rd gear when l set off , i.e the gear selector was placed in 3rd position but the gearbox was not engaging, so I selected in to 4th gear with no problem. This indicated to me that the forward gate positions were not engaging the gears. Later on I was reversing (again this being a forward gate position on the selector), when I then tried to move the shifter over to engage 1st gear the selector completely jammed and I could not move it,I didn't try to force it too hard in case I broke something. Fortunately the gearbox was actually sitting in neutral, therefore I was able to push the car to a safe place. The gearstick was completely stuck in the forward gate position and I was unable to pull it back. The gear selector fitted is a short shift (SSK) which was installed 4 years ago and it has worked fine until these recent issues which initially started with a reluctance when trying to engage into 1st gear , and this mainly when cold. Fortunately I was at home at my driveway when the gear selector stuck in the forward position. The other strange thing that I noticed when the issues were beginning to cascade, was that the gear selector appeared to engage through all the gears pretty normally when the car was still cold , but after the car warmed up the gear selector issues started to then worsen, e,g. when in 1st gear position there was no gear box drive drive engaged , then in 3rd gear position also no drive, unless I pushed the clutch first and tried 2nd gear before successfully engaging into 1st. It would appear that the linkage was not reaching over to engage the correct positions.
The car has done approx 60k Miles and clutch is good. New Update 1 : I warmed the car up this morning and have managed to pull the gear lever out of the forward position, it took some effort to pull the stick back but letting the car warm up appeared to help release it from the stuck point to be able to pull it back. The lever now feels quite floppy in the gates, therefore the issue definitely now appears like it is the cables and levers associated with the shift linkage. Update 2 : Have pulled out the centre console and inspected the gear shift and appears the cable is broken. I will attempt the cable replacement when I get the parts. Thank you for the write up on how to do this?

Last edited by bevvy; 06-16-2020 at 03:28 PM. Reason: added info
Old 06-17-2020, 08:29 AM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 510 Likes on 327 Posts

FYI there is a sub forum for 997 specific issues - https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum-113/
The following users liked this post:
bevvy (06-17-2020)

Quick Reply: 997.2 Gear Linkage